FUZZ WAR !

Tune Tone
so finally - I want to get  to that (again)

after giving the 7 transistor version a try around last year - getting it to work but in a sketchy way.. DBA after all

I want to try the 4 transistor version.
layout I could find on my laptop was saved long tiem a go is by johnk.
talking about this one here:

any one built this one before ? it worked ? tips before I head on to it ?

cheers!

Re: FUZZ WAR !

Muadzin
7 transistor is a weird finicky beast, the four transistor is basically a tweaked Big Muff with no clipping diodes in the 1st clipping stage. Maybe you should check out the fuzz war PCB from Fuzz Dog, as that's the 4 transistor version.

Re: FUZZ WAR !

Tune Tone
If that so - I figure something in the 4-Tran ver. is wrong maybe. I built it, tried 2n5088 and MPSA18 too. The 2n5088 sounds better but still really really thinand like maybe it presents 10% drive of it's potential or the original sounding one.
The Drive pot reacts weird, like in the middle position its less drive and on the 2 bottom end of the pot rotation it exceed the 'maximum' drive. Still - really weak, seems like half there.

I was trying to track a faulty component or something with a Probe. the first Trani form the left, on it's C position produces a pretty nasty cranked up sound, beside for that couldnt track any 'hiddin' sounds in the circuit.

Re: FUZZ WAR !

Tune Tone
I had a look at the Raw Fuzz kit from Fuzz Dog. It seems to be similar.. similar componenets.
I'm not that of an expert when it comes to comparing Schems to Layouts but seems similar.
Maybe someone can have a look and see if it fits the layout. If the componenets are similar and the comments on the kit are really good. should be a banger fuzz and sound idenditc to the Fuzz War after all...