Fat Boostered

Jaysharpwilliams
Hi does anyone have or can you produce a layout for the fat bastard/fatboost fb3? fb_ggg.jpg

Re: Fat Boostered

fx-fidden
I tried to draw the layout, here it is.

My emulator says this circuit cut a bit the mid-bass frequency, so I suggest to try to replace 33nF cap with 47nF, 56nF or 68nF if you prefer a more flat response at half setting, though you will lose a bit of max bass cuttingat min setting of the bass pot.
You can try a log pot instead linear because it could be more effective just in the first half.

It's still UNVERIFIED, so as usually, tell me if you see something wrong.

(Is this the real schematic of the Fulltone Fat Boost 3? GGG called this schematic Fat Boostered.)
I build pedals

Re: Fat Boostered

Axldeziak
The following link is the original Fat Bastard as drawn by Paul Cochran.
"Fat Bastard"
He posted it in this thread and explained a few things about it.
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=652

Re: Fat Boostered

Jaysharpwilliams
Excellent! Great work!

I've compared the layout with the schematic and it appears as if it will work.

I will socket the c9 cap. per your suggestion and note my findings here when I've finished. I should have time after work this eve.

As noted by Axldeziak, I've read from several sources the FB-3 is the Fat Bastard circuit created by Paul Cochrane and there are indications Sean changed the FB-3 because of some of the chatter about it.

Re: Fat Boostered

fx-fidden
I adjusted a bit the layout to make it a row smaller:

It's still UNVERIFIED.

And, maybe it's a bit exagerated, but if you find small enough components...

I read about the Fat Bastard, now. So the Fulltone version is now a bit different than this?
I build pedals

Re: Fat Boostered

Jaysharpwilliams
I just found the Madbean project Husky Boy and it is apparently the same circuit.

Lol. Here are some excerpts from the the build docs.:

Overview
ObiWon-Armon: “Have you ever heard the tragedy of Dark Foltune the Guy?”
Padawan Kokrain: “No.”
ObiWon-Armon: “I thought not. It’s not a story the pedalmakers would tell you. It’s a DIY legend.
Dark Foltune was a Dark Lord of Boutique, so powerful and so wise he could use the Fuzz to
influence electrons to create tone… He had such a knowledge of cloning, he could even keep the
pedals he copied from being exposed.”
Padawan Kokrain: “He could actually save pedals from cloning?”
ObiWon-Armon: “The dark side of the Fuzz is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...
unnatural.”
Padawan Kokrain: “What happened to him?”
ObiWon-Armon: “He became so powerful… the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power,
which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then
his apprentice exposed his dark cloning. Ironic. He could save pedals from being copied, but not
himself.”
Padawan Kokrain: “Is it possible to learn this power?”
ObiWon-Armon: “Not from DIY.”

"If you don’t know the history of the Jack Orman Mini-Booster, the Fulltone® Fat Boost™ and Paul
Cochrane’s “Fat Bastard” look it up! It’s quite a story."

Re: Fat Boostered

fx-fidden
LOL

Anyway, the smallest 10 x 9 layout of mine has at least a mistake, I modified too quickly.
I build pedals

Re: Fat Boostered

Jaysharpwilliams
This is verified.

I used the 10x9 layout and moved the cut on row c to c-4 under the 47u.

So far sounds great with 56n connected to the bass trim.

Thank you for the excellent layout.

Re: Fat Boostered

fx-fidden
Great, Jaysharpwilliams!

This is the VERIFIED layout.
(I moved the cut track under the jumper instead under the 47uF just because it is more easy to see in the layout.)

What did you exaclty do with the 56nF? Did you replace the 33nF?
I build pedals

Re: Fat Boostered

Jaysharpwilliams
Yes I socketed the 33n.

I just compared and swapped between 56n and 33n and I notice slightly more clarity in notes using the 56n, specifically in the lower notes. It's subtle and more noticeable with the bass dialed up and some may even prefer the 33n.

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021, 4:28 AM fx-fidden [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great, Jaysharpwilliams!

This is the VERIFIED layout.
(I moved the cut track under the jumper instead under the 47uF just because it is more easy to see in the layout.)

What did you exaclty do with the 56nF? Did you replace the 33nF?
I build pedals

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Fat-Boostered-tp49573p49591.html
To unsubscribe from Fat Boostered, click here.
NAML

Re: Fat Boostered

fx-fidden
It's clear. It's how I expected it.