Fenrir Distortion - Verified

anders
This post was updated on .
A cool looking dirt circuit developed by Seba which requested a layout for it.

Re: Fenrir Distortion

Seba
Anders, I thank you!
i'll try the layout as soon as i get some spare time this week, i hope..
some questions though: where did the 100µF cap from pin 8 to mid2 come from?  does it have a use?  extra filter or something like that?

Re: Fenrir Distortion

anders
Oh, I just added a power filter cap across ground and 9v in case of crappy power supply. Shouldn't affect the sound at all. Pin 8 is connected to 9v and the top row is grounded where negative legs connects. Middle lug 1 is also connected to ground according to the schematic.
I'm on the fence on building this but found out I don't have any 5,1 Zeners. Did you tried any other values on the breadboard? Like 5,6V, 6,8V, 3,6V?

Re: Fenrir Distortion

Seba
no i have not.  i tried 1N914, 1N4148, 34A and all the types of LED you can find but that just wasn't it for me..
i've never seen clipping with zeners before so i gave it a go with the only ones i had in stock but feel free to experiment the living sh*t out of it :p
that's why we're here, right? ;)

Re: Fenrir Distortion

anders
Had some time after work today and built it and it sounds great! I used 5,6v zeners and LM833 for the op amp. It will probably be boxed soon. Tried LEDS and 1N4148 but the zeners really shines in there, clipping sounds really aggressive and pissed off.

Great work Seba!

Re: Fenrir Distortion

Seba
this one is verified indeed
!!thank you ever so much, Anders!!
this one is going on my board as soon as my boxes come in.
i was wondering if there is any way to compensate for the difference in volume when you toggle the switch..
any chanse you could help me out once more?
this is my first try at designing a circuit and i've been building pedals for about a year now, so my knowledge of circuitry is still at the beginner-stage..

Re: Fenrir Distortion

anders
Hmm, I'm quite a novice myself so I don't have a simple solution for compensate the differense in volume between the two settings. Maybe someone else in here have a good solution?
I'm pretty happy with it as is.