First 2 in 1, any advice?

tonecut
I'm building my next pedal as a 2 in 1. The setup will be a Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive paired with a Zvex Super Hard-On. I'm figuring it'll all fit in a 1590BB, thoughts?

Additionally, I'd like the Zvex to come "after" the Mad Professor. Any sure way to get that effect?

Finally, do I just follow Mark's offboard wiring for 2 effects diagram and call it good?

Thoughts, advice, perils? :)

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

Geiri
Great! For me, I always prefer having a booster in front of an OD because I like the way I can boost the signal into an OD and thus get more drive out of it without boosting the volume much at all. That's just me!

I recommend you make both circuits as a one piece instead of two separate ones. I'll be more solid. Just have them next to each other and separate with cuts, or put one circuit above the other on the stripboard.

Wiring two in one box isn't hard at all and it will fit fine in a 1590BB. I once put a Bearfoot Honey Bee and a Mad Professor Stone Grey Distortion on a 1590BB and there was still plenty space.

Just remember to do the offboard wiring exactly like you should.

Good luck!
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

Just chuck em in!

The Dual Effect example is the offboard wiring you'd want to use and that gives a pretty clear idea of what you need to go.  Just daisy chain supply and ground connections to each board and you'll be good to go.  Some people like to add noise reducing methods like putting a low value resistor (maybe 100 ohms) in series with the 9V supply to each board.  Give that a try if you want, or otherwise just build it up.

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

GoranP

I'm currently in the process of doing pretty much exactly the same thing, but I'm boxing a Sweet Honey with a RC Booster (also in a 1590BB).

Two points of interest:

- power decoupling:
http://www.robchapman.tv/forum/threads/powering-multiple-circuits-in-one-pedal.21827/

- order switching. I really like this one, boosting an od or driving a boost, you can really cover quite a few sonic textures. I'm not doing the led thing because it's not worth $5 to me for the 4pdt. I'm using an on-on 3pdt switch instead.
http://www.beavisaudio.com/projects/Looper-Switcher/Effect-Order-Switcher-Wiring-Diagram.png

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

tonecut
Thanks for the advice. As GoranP added, I think I'll decouple the power and reduce the noise.

One question on your diagram for two effects, can each effect be used on their own with that wiring? So if I want to use one or the other or both, that's possible?

Also, I guess I'm fuzzy on the switchable boost diagram. It says "take the main board output to the second stomp instead." if I want to use the boost after the main effect. Does this mean I still need to connect something where that initial output was going to on the main switch? Also, which lug do I connect the main output to on the second switch? Is it instead of an existing connection or added to one?

Sorry for the newbie questions. :)

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

Vince
Just a thought here about decoupling. What if the boards already have power filtering on board? would decoupling add more filtering and in turn may affect the sound?.

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

Ignore the extra power filtering, just use the 100 ohm (or whatever) resistor.  Some effects already have this as well so just check the ones that you want to build if there is already a resistor in series with the supply

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

GoranP
IvIark wrote
Ignore the extra power filtering, just use the 100 ohm (or whatever) resistor.  Some effects already have this as well so just check the ones that you want to build if there is already a resistor in series with the supply
I agree, this is probably an overkill (still haven't installed it in my dual effect) but I usually figure why the heck not, it can't hurt...

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

GoranP
tonecut wrote
One question on your diagram for two effects, can each effect be used on their own with that wiring? So if I want to use one or the other or both, that's possible?
It's Mark's diagram but I can answer it.... absolutely. If you trace the signal paths (and you should, it's good to have a full understanding of how the 3pdt switch works), you'll notice that both effects are wired as true bypass. Meaning that if the switch is off, the signal doesn't even enter the bypassed circuit but is routed directly to the input of the next switch.
If both stomps are off, the signal goes straight from the input of the first to the output of the last stomp, if effect bypassing both of your effects.

tonecut wrote
Also, I guess I'm fuzzy on the switchable boost diagram. It says "take the main board output to the second stomp instead." if I want to use the boost after the main effect. Does this mean I still need to connect something where that initial output was going to on the main switch? Also, which lug do I connect the main output to on the second switch? Is it instead of an existing connection or added to one?
I can see how the fuziness can occur on this one. The main difference between the schematics is that on first one, you can have either/both effects off/on at the same time. Meaning that from full-on to full-off you need two foot presses, one for each effect. The second one gives you kind of a "master switch" which will turn one/both off at the same time while the second switch lets you add another effect (top left corner of the image) in front of the "main" effect. For example, usually (but not always), people use an OD as the main effect and occasionally add a booster. I like to have both combinations available so I implemented the order switching to Mark's first dual-effect diagram.

Now, it's all a matter of perspective. Mark's wording assumes that you are putting a boost in front of the main effect (whatever it may be). If you explicitly want to have an OD in front of a booster, then you'd wire a booster as a main effect (bigger part of the second diagram) and just "plug in" the inputs and outputs of your OD board to the second switch (top left).
I hope this clears it up for you at least a bit, if not feel free to ask again.

tonecut wrote
Sorry for the newbie questions. :)
No need to apologize, we've all been there...

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

Vince
I've built a few dual pedals with Marks offboard, just today I built a germanium fuzz face with a green ringer in front of it. They both work independently and I used no coupling/resistors with zero noise :)

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

GoranP

Hey that's great! My house power is incredibly dirty, I can use all filtering that I can get...

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

What Vince says is exactly why I'm fairly ambivalent about it, to the point of not really caring.  I use a daisy chained one spot to power all my effects, and that means that two independent effects sat next to each other powered by the daisy chain, don't have the luxury of decoupling resistor between them, and yet I never have problems with noise.

I think we often look for solutions to problems that don't exist just in case.  Which is fine to err on the side of caution, but I certainly wouldn't be hung up about exluding them completely.  Even the power supply filter / smoothing cap is often unnecessary, especially for clean effects.

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

Wild Turkey
I built a 2n1 with a Lovepedal Purple Plexi & an SHO in it
the Sho wouldnt work proberly before the PP so had to swop them around
Its my favourite pedal & with my kingslayer is magical

Ive a few doubles  ready to build & trying to work out the order
 a dls & madbean fatpants next
 a sucker punch & a sunface bc 108
&a dano french fries & orange squeezer compressor

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

tonecut
UPDATE:
The pedal is finished! I soldered to the wrong DC jack lug for the 9v power, but luckily found it before I tore more apart. ;)

"The Valley Girl"
(Zvex Super Hard-On & Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive)
http://instagram.com/p/YD5IVCPhvh/
http://instagram.com/p/YD5WhDPhvw/
http://instagram.com/p/YD5dVaPhv6/

Sounds great!! Couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the help folks!

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

GoranP

Hahaha... valley girl, love the name!

Not to hijack your thread, I just finished my first 3-in-1

http://bit.ly/113i0qD
http://bit.ly/ZTX0S4

I just can't come up with a name for it. Not much space on it left but I'd squeeze it in somehow.

It's a Clarinot and a Clarinot and a Deep Blue Delay.

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

tonecut
Wicked! Reminds me of an Inventobox. How's it sound? :)
Also, how was the space in there?

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

GoranP
Well it just sounds plain weird and I certainly lack the playing skills to make anything of it once I start combining effects
Clari into a Clari is weird but DBD into a Clari, there's no controlling that! At least for me, someone with a finer touch could possibly have some creative uses for it. I just use it as a noisebox.

I was hoping noone would ask for a gutshot  but here you go. It was a bit of a tight fit but that's more due to my lack of wiring skill and preparation...

http://bit.ly/YoB1Ds
http://bit.ly/ZViUnR

Re: First 2 in 1, any advice?

tonecut
Hey, that looks great! Man...my SHO/SHOD is all sorts of stuffed into my 1590BB box. No worries, yours looks downright professional compared to mine.

Good job!!