First SMD attempt.

Chris60601
This post was updated on .
Since it appears that J201's seem to be getting more expensive and perhaps the illusion of being harder to find, I thought now would be a good time to stock up. So, I reviewed my J201, 5457, 5087, 5089, and 5088 stockpile and get to ordering. I piked up 100 each of the above but in SMD format.

Long story short, over the weekend I built another version of the AMZ Boost/Overdrive this time with SMD J201's - The soldering was a little tricky but for a fist time event, I thought it went rather well since the circuit actually worked.

So, here it is..

Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: First SMD attempt.

Re: First SMD attempt.

Chris60601
Thank you sir, much obliged :)
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: First SMD attempt.

Looks like a garden!    Very cool.

Re: First SMD attempt.

That looks great Chris. Did you use SMD paste flux? It makes things much easier - basically glues them in place. You don't need clamps or hold-down tools at all.

RE: First SMD attempt.

Chris60601
Thank you, sir!
No, I did not. Tell me more about this paste as I would really like to work more with these parts.

RE: First SMD attempt.

RE: First SMD attempt.

Muadzin
I'd love to get me some, but it costs me 4x as much to ship one tube to me then buying it.

RE: First SMD attempt.

Beaker
I had a quick look on ebay Netherlands, and found this:

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Gel-Flux-Solder-Paste-BGA-SMD-SMT-Assembly-and-Repairs-1-4-ml-/111740168992?hash=item1a043bab20:g:NOAAAOSwDNdVyPUf

Same stuff, still from the UK, but 3 Euro 22 cents for postage to the Netherlands

If you are still having problems finding some, email me and I will send you a tube.

RE: First SMD attempt.

Muadzin
Beaker wrote
I had a quick look on ebay Netherlands, and found this:

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Gel-Flux-Solder-Paste-BGA-SMD-SMT-Assembly-and-Repairs-1-4-ml-/111740168992?hash=item1a043bab20:g:NOAAAOSwDNdVyPUf

Same stuff, still from the UK, but 3 Euro 22 cents for postage to the Netherlands

If you are still having problems finding some, email me and I will send you a tube.
You, Sir, are a God amongst mortal men!