Forgetting what was built

fenderguy79
Does anyone else have the problem where you build a board, test it, or put it to the side "waiting for parts", but then never get back around to working on it because of the current board your working on?
I have far too many of these around , sadly they are mostly overdrives.

Re: Forgetting what was built

haha i know those days all too well. i now just build if i have everything so i DON'T do that anymore. i know frank has a great method where he takes and puts all the parts and board into labeled baggies so he knows exactly what parts go where and what he needs to finish.

Re: Forgetting what was built

dbat69
I keep a spreadsheet log of all my parts stash.  When I want to do a pedal, I check against the list to see if I have everything, if not I order in before I start.  I always order more than I need so I have spares in case I have a failure, but they are also there for some other build in the future (I try to order larger quantities).  When I use parts I reduce the number in stock so I know what I have.  It is a bit of hassle, but it works for me.

Re: Forgetting what was built

Yeah, as Zach said, I put my builds into ziplock bags and mark them for future reference.  You can fold up any documentation and stick it in the bag too.

I have three boxes where I store the bags: (1) completed/tested builds ready for boxing, (2) builds in progress (not done yet), (3) completed/tested builds that didn't make the cut aka "The Island of Lost Circuits".  If I need some components badly, I'll sometimes go to box (3) and harvest any available components (especially pots).  But mostly, I retain the old builds because I may have an idea someday and decide to resurrect the project.

Re: Forgetting what was built

fenderguy79
I try to bag what was unfinished and label missing components on the bag.
I also have a completed/failed pile which I'm starting to salvage from.
I think my biggest problem right now is not being organized enough.  The plethora of parts are strewn across my apartment.  Time for another part organizer.

Re: Forgetting what was built

Frank_NH
I use plastic organizer cases like this:

I have one each for:
1 - 999 pF ceramic caps
1 - 1000 nF film caps
1 - 470 uF electro caps
16 mm potentiometers (A10K, A25K, ... B1M)

For transistors, diodes, IC, sockets, and other parts, I use one or more ziplock bags, place components of like type in the sealable plastic bags you get with your purchases (I have a zillion of those now!), and mark them with a sharpie.  For example, all 2N5088 trannies go in a sealable bag marked "2N5088", that goes into a larger ziplock bag labeled "transistors".  Then all of the bags go into a rigid see through plastic storage container.  I decided to put all of my boxing parts (e.g. jacks, knobs, screws, etc.) into a separate storage box.  And finally, my resistors go into a plastic storage drawer unit like this:

Mine has 5 drawers versus the 3 shown in the image, and I sort the labeled/taped resistors in decades:
1 - 1K
1K - 10K
10K - 100K
100K - 1M
1M -10M

This is a great system for sorting resistors and it takes me little time to find a value I need.  Of course, you can use more drawers and have an even finer sorting approach.

Hope this gives you some ideas.  It has worked well for me so far, but still my work area always seems to remain a bit untidy...

Re: Forgetting what was built

motterpaul
From the title I thought you were going to say you have builds were you forgot what it was - I had many of those before I realized I needed to start writing the name on the Circuit Board. Good thing I figured that out before I had too many to track.

But yes, getting organized is the best and fun - not that I am a pro, but I have done it and found the benefits. Starting out with "assortment" packs of caps, diodes and resistors means you get all the marked baggies you need for keeping parts. You just need to replenish them.

Still - I have the clear plastic boxes for trannys where I wrote down the pin orientation for each one on the box. I have just started but I already have about 21 transistor part numbers. 1000s of the little monsters all together.

All in separate clear containers: ICs, pots, transistors, trim pots, caps. IN separate clear baggies: extra caps, extra resistors, knobs, footswitches, 1/4" connectors, VERO boards. Then I have one LARGE clear box with different sections for DC jacks, LED holders, LEDs, toggle switches, sockets, assorted loose caps, trimmers, nuts & washers, etc.

There is a big cardboard box of finished but unboxed circuits I can play with. Yes, there are some where I intended to swap one small part before I quit on it, and then just left it behind, Those is hardest to track. For me, I really don't have the room to be as organized as I would like to be.

I will admit I do forget what I have ordered and have double ordered, some thing but not too bad. Keeping parts in organized places keeps that to a minimum. I am not the spreadsheet type.

Re: Forgetting what was built

fenderguy79
motterpaul, admittedly I've also forgotten what a build was, too.

Most of them have been overdrives, and after while they all tend to sound similar, anyway. haha.  At least to me.

Just made the Tri-vibe from runoff groove, which is pretty cool

Thanks for all the organizing suggestions!