Fred Briggs Overdrive

VanDerchuck
I'm sorry if this has been posted. I haven't found a layout for it yet. Seems like a good candidate for this site.

Here's the link to his page.

http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.com/2009/01/fred-briggs-overdrive.html?m=1

Here's the schemo.

Thank you

Re: Fred Briggs Overdrive

doomkraft89
Stoned to the bone, Swedens legacy.

Re: Fred Briggs Overdrive

Alex
This post was updated on .
Another possible version with some "extras" from Fred's blog.
Added a volume pot but i'm not sure how it would work.

...and without the volume:

Re: Fred Briggs Overdrive

VanDerchuck
Wow. Thanks guys. I'll try and verify both.

Re: Fred Briggs Overdrive

VanDerchuck
The first one can be marked verified. Only problem I ran into was cap size. A couple only span two rows and make for a very tight fit.

The second one I'll try and get to in the next few weeks. Alex, is there a schematic for that?

Re: Fred Briggs Overdrive

Alex
No schematic.
It's just a switch that changes the clipping between Mosfets/None/Germanium.
It should make it more versatile.

Re: Fred Briggs Overdrive

VanDerchuck
Derrr...

Re: Fred Briggs Overdrive

This is probably common knowledge, but I use my needle nose pliers to bend the cap legs like this for two hole (0.1") spacing.

Re: Fred Briggs Overdrive

VanDerchuck
Frank_NH wrote
This is probably common knowledge, but I use my needle nose pliers to bend the cap legs like this for two hole (0.1") spacing.

Thanks Frank. I've done that in the past. I have the smaller caps for that reason.

Where in NH are you?

Re: Fred Briggs Overdrive

Frank_NH
I'm close to Dartmouth College, right next to the Connecticut River.  Lovely area.

Yeah, the reason I posted the pic is because we often have to bend legs to get things to fit.  I nearly always use box caps and get can those in good, slim sizes for values <= 220 nF.   Larger box caps need more real estate, as do larger electro caps.  Another technique I often use (and that some use on their veros) is to place components diagonally if there is free, connected hole adjacent to the original hole.  That works really well for the larger cylindrical electros.

Re: Fred Briggs Overdrive

Hozy31
Shouldn't the switch SPDT on-off-on?
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Fred Briggs Overdrive

Alex
Correct.
You could also use just half of a DPDT.

Re: Fred Briggs Overdrive

Hozy31
Thanks Alex,
So built the version with the Vol pot and SPDT switch and it works quite nicely but overall its a bit low on volume. How would I go about increasing it, larger Vol pot, change in resistor value?
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Fred Briggs Overdrive

VanDerchuck
The other layout is low in volume too. I think it's how the bias is set. It's based in the ZVex SHO, and that pedal has a ton of volume. I haven't played with the bias set up yet, but if I get around to it I'll share what I tried.