Fulltone Fat Boost Question

Kinski
So I built this simple thing. Everything works totally fine. However, there is pretty much NO distortion produced by the pedal at all. If I turn up the drive knob all the way and REALLY wack my PAF humbucker guitar, I can get the faintest clipping to happen. Is this how the original worked? I can't tell from watching youtube vids as the quality is so poor.

I tried replacing the 2n5457 with J201 and it sounds exactly the same.

Layout used:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/04/fulltone-fatboost-v1.html#comment-form

Re: Fulltone Fat Boost Question

Kinski
Also, regardless of the original, is there a way to get a bit more clipping out of this thing? Changing a resistor perhaps?

Re: Fulltone Fat Boost Question

Frank_NH
http://www.muzique.com/amz/mini.htm

Putting a 1 - 10 uF capacitor in parallel with the 1K source resistor will increase the gain of the mu-amp stage.

Re: Fulltone Fat Boost Question

Kinski
That gave the boost it needed. Thanks!