Fuzz Face and BMP (again)

nicolab
This post was updated on .
Hello folks,
This is my first circuit on this page and it had to be another FF based fuzz!!!
The project is quite simple: Sunface > Jfet buffer > Hot rodded BMP stack > gain recovery/amplification stage.
The goals are simple as well: adding a bit of versatility and a bit of volume to a FF without increasing the noise too much. The buffer stage is meant to make the tone response consistent throughout all the gain settings, while the recovery stage is exaggerated (maybe too much a 1k or 1.5k resistance instead of the 680R one will get the job done anyway).
I already breadboarded the circuit and it sounds nice to me, but I haven't try to realize the vero yet.
Here you can find the schematics and then the veroboard, any comment will be appreciated

Re: Fuzz Face and BMP (again)

glasspak73
Why does the schematic show the Jfet 2N5457 as the Q3 but in the pink box lower left hand corner it says that Q4=2n5457. I'm assuming the schematic is right but the labeling in the pink box is incorrect.I just wanted to ask if this is a type-o? Is there any other fuzz circuits with this exact transistor line up a fuzz circuit +Jfet + gain recovery stage? I am curious how this type of circuit sounds. Thanks for posting this it looks well thought out. Soon as i can get my work space back up and running ill be building this.

Re: Fuzz Face and BMP (again)

nicolab
Hi glasspak73, thanks for pointing out the mistake, Q3 is the 2n5457, I corrected the schematics.
I don't know if there are other fuzzes built like this but, given the enormous number of fuzzes out there I'm quite sure there will be more than one.
This circuit sounds almost like a standard FF, just a bit smoother on the top end. This because of the effect of C10 and C11. The buffer does not have any relevant impact on the sound I use it to have a stable impedance source for the BMP like EQ (that's tweaked to have a flat response with the pot in center position instead of a mid cut).

bye,