Fuzz Face builders

tjdracz
This post was updated on .
Hi there fellow DIY-ers. I guess most of you built a Fuzz Face at one point or another. Well, I finally did too, germanium one. Used some ASX12E transistors I pinched from ebay with Q1 at 70 hfe an Q2 at aroun 115. Sounds quite cool, nice dynamics and great response to touch.
But (there's always a but, isn't it) I'm getting some hum with it no matter what. It's not obscene ammounts, I had them with my Wah but shielded wiring helped, still, bit annoying. Running off power supply, isolate and nicely regulated, didn't have any issues with any other circuits, including high gainers like Big Muff. Shielded input and output wires, aluminium enclosure, wires kept short as possible, it all seems to be alright, but the hum is there with and without guitar connected and only disappears when turning fuzz or volume knob just a little bit down. I'm not running any of them at full anyway as the sound is too fuzzed out for most practical purposes but if I was, I would probably be annoyed by the noise during the quiet parts.
What's your experience with noise in this particular circuit? Anyone experiencing the same? I suspect the transistors themselves might be contributing some noise so will try to swap and mix them later.

EDIT: swapped transistors for some mojo mullard ac188's and there is definitely less noise. Still some but more like your usual fuzz circuit. The new one have shorter leads and it makes me wonder how is that an effect on the sound. Shorter less=less wire to work like an antenna? ;)

Re: Fuzz Face builders

Vince
For what it's worth, I have an original (mini) germanium Fuzzface and there is a hum on that as well. Not major but it's there. I tend to expect a bit of noise from a fuzzface as I've made quite a few, both silicon and germanium and I'm always hesitant when first trying them as they're so temperamental.

Re: Fuzz Face builders

Vince
Also, the best transistors I've ever tried in a Fuzz face are the Russian 308's. They measured at near zero leakage and what is strange is that I can drop two in at around 60-80hfe and they sounded better and higher gain than two matched AC128's?... I think there is a youtube vid somewhere explaining why, something to do with frequency response etc...

Like these..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Germanium-PNP-Transistors-GT308V-USSR-1980S-QTY-100-/310931997154?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4864fdc1e2

And the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEfpRbD-dg8

Re: Fuzz Face builders

tjdracz
Thanks for reply, as I've suspected, some noise is to be expected from that circuit.
I've seen that video too. I've got a bunch of germaniums (sourcing some stock to sell them to pedal builders for non-bullshit prices), including Russian ones but as 188's gave me less noise and pleasant sound, I didn't even care to look further. Nice pedal but then again, can't touch my favourite Fuzzrite :)

Re: Fuzz Face builders

Beaker
"Nice pedal but then again, can't touch my favourite Fuzzrite :)"

What transistors are you using in your Fuzzrite?

Re: Fuzz Face builders

tjdracz
Silicon one built with 2N3904. Had lower gains 2N2222A's there before but it did not sound right at all. Really quiet and just weird. 2N3904 gives me fuzzy wonders. I put that 22K resistor (or was it 12K) on switch to have two modes of operation. With the resistor engaged I nail that "Blues Theme" sound:

Re: Fuzz Face builders

Beaker
Ah right, same as mine then :)

I built the tagboard version rather than the vero version.

And yes, I love mine too!

Re: Fuzz Face builders

tjdracz
Did you try to mix the transistor gains as recommended? So High Q1, low Q2? I tried that with 2N2222A but nearly lost all the sound, it was just really muddy and lacking punch. Though transistors were faulty but couldn't find anything wrong with them and with 2N3904\s, fairly high gain, around 400 it came to life as the meanest fuzz I've got in my arsenal :)

Re: Fuzz Face builders

Dave
Did you put a filter cap in for the power? 100 uf between 9v and ground does wonders for fuzzes.

Re: Fuzz Face builders

tjdracz
Sure did, even put a smaller one there to help with other frequencies