Fuzz Problems

j_molesy
Hi all,
I'm trying to build my first NPN silicon fuzz face and I'm having problems, I have all the right parts and values except for the following 2 capacitors

2U2 = 63V rating
22U = 25V rating

I've breadboarded the components but when testing it sounds horrid, the sound only last a few seconds when playing and the circuit only works if the fuzz pot is on full, lowering it even slightly cuts the sound off.

My question is are the ratings of the capacitors effecting the circuit or will any rating work as long as it is above the 9v of the battery I'm using, or it it likely to be something else?

P.S I have tried the circuit with the following transistors
BC108, BC109, BC108C and 2N3904

Thanks
Jon.

Re: Fuzz Problems

Anything above 16V rating will work fine.  I hate breadboarding because I find I always get noise and oscillation in gainy circuits, almost certainly because the connections aren't particularly good.  So it may just be the connection or you could have a faulty component.  As there is a delay before it cuts out that suggests a problem with a cap to me.  Are you sure you have them in the correct polarity orientation?

Re: Fuzz Problems

j_molesy
Thanks for the swift reply,

I have checked and double checked the polarity :S, I think I might just bite the bullet, get fresh components and go straight to board.

I'll post back with some results tonight.

Cheers.