Fuzz section of 6 transistor Companion Fuzz Wah w. post boost

Fuzz section of 6 transistor Companion Fuzz Wah w. post boost

anders
This post was updated on .
Hi there. I found a schematic at uzzfay of the fuzz section of an old japanese fuzz wah which I THINK is made by Shin Ei. It looks like a Superfuzz but there is some differences, it only has four transistors and a cap and a resistor from Q1 to the Fuzz Adjustment pot, plus a few dififferent values here and there.

Schem
http://freestompboxes.org/members/uzzfay/web.archive.org/web/20120313025609/http_/members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/6trfw/nat6tr.html

As I said, I'm not sure what this thing is, maybe somebody in here could solve this mystery?
I have drawn a vero as well (which still needs some work)

Re: Fuzz section of 6 transistor Shin Ei Fuzz Wah

tabbycat
looks pretty close mostly identical to an acetone fm2 with the last gain-boost stage left off, maybe because the wah had a final gain-boost stage it tapped into.

http://www.luciferstrip.com/fuzz/acetonefm-2.gif

have compared it to the superfuzz 6 transistor and the ibanez standard fuzz and the fm2 is the best fit.

Re: Fuzz section of 6 transistor Shin Ei Fuzz Wah

anders
Yeah, of the Superfuzz type circuits, this one looks closest to the Fuzzmaster. I've made some research and it seems to be this one:Companion Fuzz Wah 6 Tr

I built it yesterday according to the layout below and it works. The output is low, especially with diodes since it's missing the last gain stage. I had to increase the Volume pot to 500kB to get up to unity with silicon diodes.  I'm not an expert on Superfuzzes so I can't compare it to other variants but the Fuzz Adjust control is quite cool, it's like a blend control which pans between the first gain stage and the rest of the circuit just like in a Fuzzrite.

Here is a verified vero

Re: Fuzz section of 6 transistor Companion Fuzz Wah

anders
Ok, I did another vero with a LPB1 post boost and now it's plenty loud. It's definitely sounds more like a edgier, a bit rougher Superfuzz than a Fuzzmaster. Less mushy with more noticiable clipping maybe. Just worth building if you really love Superfuzzes. And the Fuzz Ajust/Blend control is quite neat.

I used 2N2222's for Q1-Q4 and D9K for the clipping diodes.

Re: Fuzz section of 6 transistor Companion Fuzz Wah

Hozy31
Just built this and its really, really good. Used the final layout with 2N2222As and 2N5088 as mentioned by anders. Used some unknown big glass Ge diodes for D1 & 2. Will try others at some point to see if they really make a big difference, but i don't have much of a selection to choose from at the mo.

Here is a pic of the build.

Excuse my shabby building.
Thanks for the layout anders.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Fuzz section of 6 transistor Companion Fuzz Wah

Silver Blues
Okay those are some enormous diodes. Or at least they look that way in the pic.

Cool, glad you like it and my...that diodes looks sick!

Re: Fuzz section of 6 transistor Companion Fuzz Wah

Hozy31
Yeh, they are pretty humungous. Never managed to find out what they were though but sound awesome in this build. Really Dark and moody.
"Red velvet lines the black box"