Fuzz section of Ibanez Wau Wau Fuzz

anders
I'm quite obsessed with Superfuzz variants at the moment. This one is quite similar to Ibanez Standard Fuzz but with a different tonestack and and a few other component value changes. Sound less bouncy and less "rubbery" than the Standard Fuzz with better sustain.

I added a 10 uF cap between emitter of Q5 and ground to increase output level.

Re: Fuzz section of Ibanez Wau Wau Fuzz

tabbycat
anders wrote
I'm quite obsessed with Superfuzz variants at the moment. This one is quite similar to Ibanez Standard Fuzz but with a different tonestack and and a few other component value changes. Sound less bouncy and less "rubbery" than the Standard Fuzz with better sustain.

I added a 10 uF cap between emitter of Q5 and ground to increase output level.
i'm quite obsessed with superfuzz variants always.

many thanks for the layout anders. i actually prepped my vero for a standard fuzz build last weekend, using miro's layout here, but have been too distracted with other things this week to solder a single component yet. but am interested in the subtle difference you suggest the wau wau tonestack makes and might put those values into miros layout since i've already started. or put them on a switch to give me rubbery/non-rubbery options.

am presuming the standard schemo you are refering to is the gottfried divos standard fuzz one (dec 2003)? and this one is built from the analogguru wau wau one (last revision also dec 2003)? for some reason (possibly confusion or pure fantasy) i dismissed the divos one in my thinking as being a proposed schematic that analogguru's version superceded. shall have to read back into the fsb thread tonight but i remember it like that last time i read through it (last summer).

but is the more rubbery one you refer to based on the divos one (1n, 220n, 22k, 10k)?

Re: Fuzz section of Ibanez Wau Wau Fuzz

anders
Yes, this one is based on Analogguru's schematic with last revision Dec 2003, I also did a vero based on Gottfried Divos schem:

Apart from the tonestack there is some minor differencies: Wau Wau fuzz has 100kB pots instead of 50kB. There is two 100k resistors dumping signal to ground, one between the 2SK30 J Fet and Fuzz Depth pot (which missing in the Standard Fuzz) and one another after Q5 (10k in Standard Fuzz).

As for the tonestack, there is a quite a big volume drop when the 100nF cap is switched in while there is almost none in the Standard Fuzz (220nF).

The differnces is quite subtle...less rubbery, less open character as there is always a 22nF cap connected to ground...

Now I have to decide which one of these I have to box up...