Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

squirrels
I just noticed the Doom Bloom was traced at FSB. Any chance of seeing a layout for this one? Sounds like a great addition to the library. Thanks.

http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27973

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

notnews
Thanks for the post!

hey.. can someone tell me what's going on with the "high" control, and the "N/C" pin 3 on that VR? Is that short-hand for a connection to ground?.. or is this some kind of switching pot?

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

Looks like we're on this like flies on shit.

Well I'm sure someone will come along and post a better layout, but I took a little stab at it myself. Lemme know if you see any errors

EDIT: uploaded a new layout down below incorporating fixes suggested by Sphere80 down below. If you've already started my first layout, don't worry, the changes will be easy to incorporate

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

squirrels
Thanks Travis, definitely gonna try to find some time to give it a shot. Been working a lot of hours and I've been in a building funk lately, hopefully this gets me out of it.

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

Yeah I think a lot of us have been in that funk lately

Good luck, lemme know how it goes!

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

squirrels
I think I have everything except the only 1uf I have are electrolytic. Which way do I put those in if you don't mind my asking?

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

From left to right

Negative facing up
Negative facing up
Negative facing up
Negative facing right

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

squirrels
Thanks Travis. Besides probably not having all of the 100k log pots I should have everything else. Hopefully I'll be able to give it a shot later.

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

I bought a big bag of A100K and B100K from tayda because they're used in everything! Hate it when I run out of those!

You could probably replace body and head with 100K linear without a huge difference.

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

Sphere80
I made a layout on FreeStompBoxes (EmmG).  The 330nf should be 33nf, and I'd take a closer look at the tone section on wecallthepolice's TRACE and compare it to his schematic.

Here is a clip I just recorded:
https://soundcloud.com/user-562468024/alexsez-doom-bloom-clone-2016-11-16

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

Thankyou very much Sphere80 I appreciate you letting us know. 33n certainly makes more sense and I'll take a look at the body configuration

Thanks again

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

Ok here is a revised version based on the trace rather than the schem. I changed the 330n to 33n, and the 47p to 470p based on Sphere80's suggestions. Comments/criticism welcome

BTW Sphere80's layout is better than mine, you won't hurt my feelings if you build his instead :)

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

Sphere80
That's kind of you to say. It was my first layout, and the original poster's first trace/schematic.  We're both happy to give back to this hobby.

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

I like your layout because it is compact and gives enough space to neatly use 1uF box/film caps.

With my layout, I was thinking of using 1uF monolithic ceramic caps to save space and trying to keep the wires to each pot grouped together as much as possible while keeping the board 1590B friendly.

Different strokes for different folks, but I like your style. Keep up the great work

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

agreed. good job on the layouts all around. i also posted one on the main page. not as compact at 14x14, but should give some room for larger components without them all pushing each other out of the way.

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

squirrels
Ok, built Travis' layout and I'm not sure what's going on with it. Probably an error on my end since it passes a signal that sounds like it could be right but the pots don't seem to work at the same time. Body won't work but head will and vice versa. I've been trying to recycle a lot of parts lately and maybe it's time to put a small order in with Tayda. I'll screw around with what I have already built over the weekend but until then, back to playing Overwatch I guess.

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

That's a bummer. Post some pics and I'll look it over

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

squirrels
Thanks Travis but I really didn't put much effort into debugging myself yet so I want to see if I can figure it out myself. I may have damaged the board actually.

Re: Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom

squirrels
Well, checked again and a track was definitely broken so I built it again but this time I used EmmG's layout, sorry Travis but my last piece of vero was the perfect size for it. It "works" but when the high pot is set anywhere but counter clockwise it squeals horribly and gets all glitchy sounding. Tried different pots, different power supplies and a battery with the same results. I had similar problems with the Algal Bloom when everything was turned up. Rather than get aggravated I think I'll just move away from this one. Thanks for your help again.
12