GM328 transistor tester

Mulekicker
I just got one of these off Amazon for 20 bucks and so far I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it works.Granted it doesn't show leakage on germanium transistors but it seems to do an admirable  job testing components, hfe, and checking pinouts. Eventually I'll get a dca55,  but for now this is SO much better than the shitty Harbor Freight multimeters that you can get for free with a coupon (I think I'm on my 3rd one and I only use them to test hfe). Highly recommended as a cheap option.

Re: GM328 transistor tester

blorvak
I have one that does indeed measure leakage in GE transistors. There's a few variants out there.

Re: GM328 transistor tester

Mulekicker
Really!? I'll have to check mine, just assumed it didnt. Does it display leakage separate from the hfe?

Re: GM328 transistor tester

blorvak
Yep, mine displays both the gain and ICEo, as well as a few other parameters.

From what I was able to gather, the main tester project is a German open source endeavor, and they forked into two different, but very similar codebases. The Chinese clones use one or the other. I'm guessing that's why some measure leakage, and some don't.

I bought mine off of eBay for a very reasonable price.