GT-OD without distortion / overdrive

Xico
Hi, first post, first board.
This is the Vero http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/08/mxr-gt-od.html

The problem is I got sound but no distortion, the sound is completely clear.
Q1 MPSA14
C: 8,95v
B: 2,32v
E: 3,68v
IC TL082 (4558 with the same problem)
1: 4,44v
2: 4,08v
3: 3,98v
4: 0,00v
5: 4,40v
6: 4,44v
7: 4,44v
8: 8,91v
The clipping diodes (and LEDs) have 4,43v at each end.
Please someone help me debug this.

Re: GT-OD without distortion / overdrive

Marbles
Hi and Welcome!

I'm more of a picture-help guy. Is it possible to post pics of the board (top and bottom)?

Re: GT-OD without distortion / overdrive

Xico

Re: GT-OD without distortion / overdrive

Marbles
Thanks! Looks good (from my phone). Have you used a test rig? Or did you wire the switching already as well? Is there no difference between the dry signal and the effect engaged? Or is there a difference, just not a lot of distortion?

Re: GT-OD without distortion / overdrive

Xico
This post was updated on .
EDIT: The signal has a boost, not even a overdrive almost not noticeable. I only notice when I switch to the dirty channel on the amp it have a little boost.
The board is wired without 3pdp or led (to remove variables) in to in, out to out. I will post the wiring of the switches (clipping and mode).

More pics

Re: GT-OD without distortion / overdrive

heuermh
Hello, you may want to check that the IC and the socket are aligned with each other and agree with the layout.

Re: GT-OD without distortion / overdrive

squirrels
On back of the board it looks like there may be a small solder bridge on the lower left side, third hole from the left between the fourth and fifth rows from the bottom. Run a knife between the gaps. Not sure if that’s the problem but it’s something that stood out to me.

Re: GT-OD without distortion / overdrive

Xico
Thanks all
squirrels : I tried to clean those rows, I don't have continuity between and after passing the knife didn't change.

I think the ic is ok, the tracks are in place and the voltage seems in the range right?

Re: GT-OD without distortion / overdrive

aelling
Have you tried flipping the MPSA14? The layout has it the flipped compared to yours.

I followed the letters of the transistor, and the pinout of the mpsa14 is e-b-c (flat side).
Flipping only makes the board do broken fart Fuzz noises.

Re: GT-OD without distortion / overdrive

aelling
Most datasheets say that, but some are actually reversed
https://english.electronica-pt.com/components-cross-reference?ref=MPSA14

If you're starting to hear gain, my guess is the way it is in the layout is correct. As for the farty fuzz noise would be grounding, try boxing it up to see if that changes anything.

Re: GT-OD without distortion / overdrive

Marbles
I'm not sure. You can always try. In my own experience, a farting fuzz noise is usually caused by a transistor that is reversed instead of a grounding issue.

Then again, in my theory it should work correctly now, which it doesn't :)

Re: GT-OD without distortion / overdrive

Xico
For me is done, my single coil pickup guitar in a 20w ss practice amp was not a good setup for testing this pedal. In a guitar with high gain humbuckers and a "real" amp the pedal comes alive.
I made a ts808 with high gain mods and sounds as I expected.
Thanks all for your help.