Gainster.... Pot Questions.

Snare227
I tried posting on the compact Gainster page, but it must not be hot at the moment.

I get my pots from Tayda and as you know they don't do the 25k. I popped a 50k in it's place and it works well, but the very end of the pot rotation has some noise. I was wondering if there was a way to add a resistor into the mix to limit the range and take out that noise, or if I should just replace it with a 20k that they do stock. Would using a 20k in place of a 25k have any loss of high end at full rotation? What effect would it have on the sound?

The way I'm understanding pots, (please correct me if I'm wrong) the taper of the pot tells you the difference in the curve between points A (fully clockwise)  and B (fully ccw), but with different tapers of the same resistance value... sounds at A and B remain the same, but the curve during the travel of the pot will be different.  I'm still unclear about the impact of the value of the pot, but I'm sure it's probably circuit dependent. I would think that if the value was too high the knob would become too touchy, and if it was too small it would only control a limited range. I have seen in several layouts that replacing the gain pot with a higher value can increase the amount of gain.  I was wondering if there was any "general" rules about tone pots.  I have so much to learn.

Thanks!

Re: Gainster.... Pot Questions.

Vince
Hi,

I've built quite a few Gainsters and I have always used a 20k pot in place of a 25k. I use a 20k whenever a 25k pot is called for and I've never noticed a difference.

As for adjusting the pots resistance, I'm not sure but this may help

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm