Ge giant!

Ravenswerld
I'm just wondering how to get rid of the pots on the germanium giant. The reason I ask is cause I leave it on full all the time. I would love to have one in a 1590a with no dials. Thnx everyone!!!!'

Re: Ge giant!

tabbycat
can you post the layout you are using? usually you jumper 1+2 or 2+3 but it depends what else is involved.

Re: Ge giant!

Basically take and replace the pots with a resistor for the value you want. The output will be where the volume pot attached to the board. I can tweak the layout for you if you really want, I just need to know if you're doing the NPN or PNP.

Re: Ge giant!

Re: Ge giant!

Beaker
Thanks Zach, and thanks Ravenswerld for a great idea.

I might have to get a 1590A and do this myself.

Re: Ge giant!

Might be right for a 1590a, if you replace the trimmer with a resistor for biasing it will get much smaller and easier to get in the small enclosure. Oh and you're welcome, it was a great idea.

Re: Ge giant!

Ravenswerld
Man thanx rocket and Zach for the layout. I'm using pnp btw.

Re: Ge giant!

Ravenswerld
      Oh ya, where would be a good place to start with resistor biasing, like 1k? Also, the schematic looks the same for both npn and pnp am I correct? Except adviously the pos ground on pnp. Thanks again...

Re: Ge giant!

Ravenswerld
Lol rocket and zach. I just saw rocket is Zach. Ooopppss!

Re: Ge giant!

I think the original value was 680 Ohm on the Green Giant, so yes 1k would be a good ballpark value to start.

"Also, the schematic looks the same for both npn and pnp am I correct? Except adviously the pos ground on pnp."

Yes, same for PNP and NPN, as there are no electro caps to reverse.

Re: Ge giant!

Ravenswerld
Awesome, thnx beaker...

Re: Ge giant!

Ravenswerld
So, how would the resistor go. Where legs 1 and 2 are and leave everything else the same?

Re: Ge giant!

Any time bro. I'll do make a layout with a resistor in place of the trimmer. Check back in like an hour or so and I'll have it done. Just have to wait a little bit till I get home.

Re: Ge giant!

Re: Ge giant!

caught a error in two of the layouts, and just went back and fixed them, so they should be good to go.

Re: Ge giant!

Ravenswerld
Man that's great, Really appreciate!!!!