Good and easy tremolo. Recommendation?

nonost
Hi guys. Would you recommend me a good and easy trem? A three knobs one: depth, speed and vol (if needed). I don't want to build a big one though.

Thanks!

Re: Good and easy tremolo. Recommendation?

Axldeziak
I recently built a Frantone Vibutron and I am more than happy with it. The only things I did different from the layout was I skipped the Fast Switch mod and used a rotary switch for the Waveform selector like the original.

Frantone Vibutron

Re: Good and easy tremolo. Recommendation?

HamishR
This is a great tremolo and easy to build.  https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/05/byoc-tremolo.html

Re: Good and easy tremolo. Recommendation?

Sphere80
I built this one on PCB, but see Savaas has made a layout here. The trimpot is volume.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Madbean-Stutr-td33291.html

Re: Good and easy tremolo. Recommendation?

Muadzin
I'm a big fan of the Shoot the Moon tremelo, which is a simplified Tremelus Lune. Because I want something that can do hard chop as well as sweet and wavy.

Re: Good and easy tremolo. Recommendation?

nonost
Ey thanks guys! I think the Shoot the Moon could be the one I'd try. Is the volume pot needed? I would like to make a 3 knob tremolo if possible.

Cheers.

Re: Good and easy tremolo. Recommendation?

Pavlos
Swamp Thang a is a nice sounding tremolo, as is Vico Vibe, though a few people have reported that there is a bit of volume drop with that one so you might want a booster at the output to get the level back up (LPB with trimmer perhaps?) Schaller / Heart Throb are also good, and there is the Electric Boogaloo which is a close relative to the Tremulus Lune / Shoot The Moon with simplified controls.

And if you want the 'choppy' on-off VRP style, the Moosapotamus Skippy does a really nice job without the need for unobtanium components

And regarding the volume pot, you could add a few rows to the board and use a trimmer if you don't want to have too many external controls, just set and forget.

Re: Good and easy tremolo. Recommendation?

nocentelli
nonost wrote
Ey thanks guys! I think the Shoot the Moon could be the one I'd try. Is the volume pot needed? I would like to make a 3 knob tremolo if possible.
No, you can replace the gain pot resistance in the feedback loop of the second IC audio stage (that sets the output level) with a trimmer, or install a socket for a fixed resistor so you can swap for a different value if it's too loud or too quiet.

If you look at the tagboardfx layout page for this pedal, there is a two-knob version (gain and waveshape omitted): Just build this but use a 470/500k linear pot instead of the thee-way wave switch+fixed resistor array (connecting the pot lugs 1, 2, 3 in place of switch lugs 1, 2, 3)

Re: Good and easy tremolo. Recommendation?

Muadzin
nonost wrote
Ey thanks guys! I think the Shoot the Moon could be the one I'd try. Is the volume pot needed? I would like to make a 3 knob tremolo if possible.

Cheers.
I think I built mine from boards I got from Grindcustoms, which uses a little different layout. As in only knobs for speed and depth and a switch for shape so as to switch between triangle and square. Gain is set and forget internally via trimpot.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/04/grind-customs-electric-boogaloo-optical.html

This is basically all I need in a basic tremelo. Choppy or pulsy, speed and depth. Tap tempo would be nice but then we're starting to thread into advanced territory.