Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

cylens
great! looking forward to see how clean it turns out without the trimmers!

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

boratto
Guys any news (without the trimmers)?

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

zerosadness
Johnk, have you built your vero? I wait the confirmation to build one :D

What the differences in sound with the citrus?

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

johnk
I plan to build it within a couple of days.

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

silasmoon
Are there not 9 links?

Two left, then three with the shared links, two on the next shared link, then another two on the right?

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

silasmoon
Sure - but the layout says 7. Just a minor correction is all. Building this now. :)

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

awesome, it's on my build list. hopefully i'll get to it soon. i just checked the layout johnk posted and it says "23 cuts, 9 links". is that the layout you're looking at?

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

cylens
I've had a PCB fabbed for this one, I've omitted the boost section and used fixed resistors to bias the JFETs... sounds killer. here's a quick demo:

https://soundcloud.com/cylens/lime-demo-1

guitars are Baritone Telecaster (Neck pickup: P90) into the pedal and straight to the amp (Sovtek MIG50 w/Engl 212 cab). there is absolutely no processing on the rythm guitar tracks: a Beyer M160 in front of the cab and that's it!

bass is a 4004 Rickenbacker (Drop A tuning) into the pedal and direct into soundcard. Bassman emu and minor EQ in the mix.

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

sounds freaking amazing. i think this is the next one i build. probably going to use johnk's layout what value did you use for the jfet bias resistors? btw, the layout you made, is it the same as johnk's but with trimmers in place of the jfet bias resistors?

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

johnk
yep. it does sound great.
I have a new slightly smaller layout now so i'm currently building this one:

well, I built it and I prefer the orange since the drive circuit is after the eq (like in an orange amp). IMO, the green citrus sounds too bassy/flubby.

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

johnk
well, my last vero is verified, but like I said, I found it to be too dark and flubby.
I just finished modding it to be much more of what I like, so here's the modded vero (which is also verified):

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

awesome, thanks john. btw, it looks like when you modded it you replaced the 330pf cap with a 1.5nf cap, as well as just like the 22k resistor that replaced a 47k from bass to ground which is part of the tonestack, but why did you put a 330pf cap on the gain pot, and change the 100k resistor to 47k. how did the mods to the gain pot and the lower resistor affect the circuit? specifically what putting the cap on the gain pot between 2 of the lugs.

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

johnk
the 330p cap on the gain pot makes sure that it still has enough treble when used with lower drive settings. the 47K replacing the 100k in the gain stage yields more dirt/drive (but it still can get perfectly clean when set low). and IMO, the mods to the tone stack even out the tone controls better.

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

cylens
I used resistors between 10k and 20k, just swapped until I got close to 4.5V

About my vero layout, it's verified but really noisy due to the trimmers. For the PCB used in the soundclip, I've ommited the boost control and replaced the 1k5 resistor with a 604 ohms resistor (1k and 1k5 in parallel, simulating the 100% clockwise boost control)

So forgive my multitude of questions, but still pretty new to this. On the original vero you posted with the LED on the board and the LED+ coming off - how does the offboard wiring work? I've always just attached the LED to the 3PDT with a resistor to power.

Also - looking at both the new and old schematic. Is the 22n capacitor in the top left of the original supposed to be a 2n2?

Re: Green Citrus (for Orange Lovers)

johnk
silasmoon wrote
Also - looking at both the new and old schematic. Is the 22n capacitor in the top left of the original supposed to be a 2n2?

no, that's a completely different layout
1234