Guitar Pedals for Vocals

skeletonghost
In a discussion with a friend the question of using guitar pedals for vocals in a live setting came up. I have been doing a bit of research to figure out what the best solution for connecting a low-z vocal mic to a pedal fx loop. Ideally I am considering the possibility of an "all-in-one" box solution for this problem. I've read really mixed (mostly negative) reviews of the TC Helicon vocal boxes, and have heard some good things about EHX and Digitech but I think some of those are still prohibitively expensive. I'm trying to figure out the best signal chain that will reduce noise (specifically from impedance mis-matching) and this is what I have so far:

The XLR in is sent to a mic preamp or diy preamp or the DOD BiFET preamp for pseudo balanced output to the Re-amp transformer. I've discovered this schematic while doing a little bit of research online, it converts the low-z balanced input to a hi-z signal more familiar to pedals. That would be connected to an FX loop and then sent to a direct box for XLR output. I found this discussion between Jopn and johnk very helpful for understanding a balanced output circuit. It means I would have to include a 18v charge pump in the box as well.

The Revival Electronics Synapse seems to use a similar setup, although I have not seen a schematic for it. If any of you have a simpler solution I would be really interested to hear it. Or if you have experience with some of the commercially available vocal FX pedals.