Guitar electrics

PMowdes

Can someone point me in the direction of somewhere I can look for Guitar electrics mods??  Perhaps a useful forum.

I've just got my hands on a fender pawnshop supersonic which has switchable fender atomic humbuckers but they only have volume control and I'd like to add tone controls.

Cheers

Re: Guitar electrics

induction
Tonefiend is a good source for that sort of thing. (Click the link for 'How-to' posts.) Not an exhaustive list of wiring schemes, but a lot of cool non-standard ideas. I put PTB tone controls in both my Les Paul and Wildkat, and I can't believe I survived so long without them.

Re: Guitar electrics

Here you go:

Two humbuckers, one volume one tone:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3T11_00/Guitar-Wiring-Diagram-2-Humbuckers3-Way-Toggle-Switch1-Volume0Tone000.html

Two humbuckers, two volume, one tone:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3T21_00/Guitar-Wiring-Diagam-2-Humbuckers3-Way-Toggle-Switch2-Volumes1-Tone.html

Two humbuckers, two volume, two tone:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3T22_00/Guitar-Wiring-Diagam-w-2-Humbuckers3-Way-Toggle-Switch2-Volumes2-Tones.html

Just about every regular guitar wiring scheme is available on here, plus series/split/parallel wiring shemes, and a load of non-standard mods as well.

The design of the guitar does not lend itself well to adding pots and knobs. You may be able to buy a blank control plate and drill your own spacing. If not, your only real option is to use stacked pots and knobs if you want to add controls...

Personally, if it were my guitar and given the limitations (i.e. lack of space), coupled with the fact that I'm not a fan of stacked knobs, I would just rewire it with one volume and one tone.

I hope this helps.

Re: Guitar electrics

Alternatively, if you like having the two volume pots, there is space between the two knobs to fit a mini toggle switch. You could just stick your choice of cap on it for a fixed value no-tone/tone rolled off option.

Just a thought - I've done this on one of my son's guitars.

Major edit:

Actually, Travis' suggestion is a really good one - I can see it working really well on this guitar.

Here's a drawing:

If you use a double decker split/pan pot, you can wire the bottom deck like the top half of the image, and the bottom deck like the bottom half.

And you could use another split pan pot for a single volume control knob, controlling both pickups.That way no changes to your guitar, no extra holes, you still get volume control for both pickups via one pot, and a really versatile tone control on the second pot.

Sccratch my previous comment - if this was my guitar, this is how I'd wire it!

Re: Guitar electrics

Ciaran Haslett
I've rewired a few fat strats with the PTB controls.  Works great for the neck pup when using heavy fuzzes.

Re: Guitar electrics

PMowdes
Ciaran Haslett wrote
I've rewired a few fat strats with the PTB controls.  Works great for the neck pup when using heavy fuzzes.
Thanks for the info chaps

would this work?  I was thinking of putting a coil split in

Re: Guitar electrics

Beaker
Yes, that will work fine - as long as the pickups have four conductor wires. (I have no idea if they do). It won't work if they only have two conductors.

Re: Guitar electrics

PMowdes
Any idea of how I would implement PTB control with a series/parallel wiring for 2 humbuckers with a single volume control.  I found this but I don't have enough space for 4 pots.

Re: Guitar electrics

PMowdes

Scrub that I should have read to the bottom of the page, doh!!