Guitar talk

Re: Guitar talk

Mate I'm so tempted.  If I didn't have two stag do's abroad this year I'd have it in a shot!
Talking of which, Javi, I'm in Benidorm in March, are you coming for a beer?

Re: Guitar talk

Vince
Haha.. no worries mate, I was only semi joking really. It needs a bit of setting up to be honest. A new nut for a start. A tiny chip in the nut keeps pushing the G string out of tune... I may just do it myself or run up to Manchester for a complete medical...

Re: Guitar talk

Milkit
How is your traditional Vince?  How did it compare to others you tried dude?  I really quite fancy one, but I'm not interested in all this weight relieved shite!  Les Paul's are meant to be fooking heavy!

Matt.

On 27 Jan 2013, at 11:21, "Vince [via Guitar FX Layouts]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Haha.. no worries mate, I was only semi joking really. It needs a bit of setting up to be honest. A new nut for a start. A tiny chip in the nut keeps pushing the G string out of tune... I may just do it myself or run up to Manchester for a complete medical...

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.n6.nabble.com/Guitar-talk-tp86p567.html
To unsubscribe from Guitar talk, click here.
NAML
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: Guitar talk

Vince
It's the dogs bollocks, Milkit. Mine came with Burstbuckers and a Callaham ABR 1 bridge so the tone will be slightly different to a stock one as the stock has 57's pups. But the feel and weight is what a Les Paul should be. My mate has a 2011 standard and I compared them both. Both with BB pups etc. The traditional has far more guts and just feels like a really solid guitar, probably due to the 50's fat neck too but I like to wrestle with a guitar, Obviously both are nice guitars but to me, The traditional felt heavy,solid ..like a Les Paul should. Oh and to mention the traditional's go through Gibsons new 'Plekk' machine thingy so all frets should be leveled to perfection.. which the one I have is.

Being a big Billy Gibbons fan, I'm tempted to throw a Pearly Gates in there at some point...

Re: Guitar talk

piltdownman
I haven't bought a guitar in years.  Once you get kids, the guitar money kind of shrivels up.  But luckily, I've held on to my guitars over the years.

'77 Les Paul Special ('58 Jr shaped with 2 P90's)
'78 Rick 4001
'67 SG shaped Melody Maker with humbuckers
'03 Martin D16 RGT
'00 Epiphone Dot
Various and sundry bits of guitars in my basement.  I think there is a complete Flying V down there waiting to be reassembled.

I should really buy some more guitars
Keith

Re: Guitar talk

Milkit
Ace, cheers buddy!  I was checking them out on the Dawsons website over xmas, Hmm I'm very very tempted indeed, the wife ain't so convinced though.  She seems to have this crazy notion that we need to eat & put petrol in the cars, mad bitch!!
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: Guitar talk

Ha ha

Re: Guitar talk

JaviCAP
Haven't seen this post so far :P So you're coming in March? For Good Friday? I'm afraid that all this week long  i'm on call, but I'm trying to change turns with some colleagues.

If so, we'll gogo to a little Castellon village called Alcoceber, where  we use to go on vacation is not far from Benidorm, so it would be possible to have a beer.

BR

Re: Guitar talk

No it's the weekend before Easter that we're there, 22nd to the 25th March.  Then in August we're in Majorca, and September I'm back in Benidorm for another stag weekend

Re: Guitar talk

Vince
Do it, do it! Milkit... ignore her, she'll soon find something else to moan about..

I had the same when I was married. our 'bedroom' soon turned into a guitar/amp storage area. The first thing you saw when walking in was a DSL halfstack!... she wasn't happy at all.. can't say I blame her to be honest.

Re: Guitar talk

burksguitar
05 am. std Strat, 09 SG Standard, old Carvin Bolt, several acoustics, and the one that really captured my soul after 20 plus years and loads of guitars, a 2005 Heritage H150CM has more mojo than any other guitar I've ever owned.

Re: Guitar talk

Ross
I've got a pair of Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Basses (a 4 string and a 5 string). Don't laugh. I've played a ton of Custom Shop Jazzes, as well as Sadowskys, Laklands, etc... 95% of the time, I prefer my Squier.  They're the best basses I've ever played, and that's mainly because I'm really picky about the neck. The Vintage Modern necks are thinner than the normal Jazz neck, but not quite as thin as the Geddy Lee Jazz.  The only weak link on either of them are the hardware, and maybe the pickups (although I think they're not bad.) The 4 string is modified with Rickenbacker-style stereo outputs, and no tone control. The 5 has Schaller straplocks, but other than that, completely stock.
The only downside? They are both incredibly heavy.
My dream bass is still either a Modulus Q5, or some form of Lakland.

Re: Guitar talk

Wild Turkey
I've
92 Les paul standard
Gibson Billie Joe junior, just got it !
81 Peavey T-60
Fender Highway 1 strat, completely modded
Squier classic vibe strat
homemade telecaster
homemade EVH copy
Vintage V100 les paul, completely modded
Recording king RO126
& a flamenco guitar made in 1917

Have to agree with what Ross says about the Squiers as I'd rate mine as good as anything I own & its one of my favourites !

Re: Guitar talk

Rolf Poti
Blind test customshop telecaster and squire classic vibe. Guess what happens!  : )
This is really worth watching, sort of an eye opener for all guitarists that buys the most expensive gear!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCEdT2d43jU

Re: Guitar talk

Madferret
An interesting video, but I think if they'd plugged them into an amp they might have had an easier time.  From personal experience I ended up buying a Custom Shop 52 reissue after spending 4 hours trying all kinds of different tele's, Mexican, Squire, American, Baja etc.  The one I came away with just had a nicer sound and feel it it, it wasn't what I'd intended to buy when I went in so it's not like I was biased towards it.  I also tried a few Gibson Les Paul's and an SG that day and even though they were excellent I still came out with the tele.  Obviously each guitar is different and the one I chose would not necessarily be the one others choose but from this experience I'd say that, at least where tele's are concerned, it goes Squire/Mexican<American<Custom Shop.  There isn't much wrong with some of the Squires that a little TLC couldn't cure though and now that I've accrued a few electronics skills I may be tempted to buy a little cheaper and mod it myself.

I can still hear that Gibson Les Paul calling me though :(

Re: Guitar talk

Rolf Poti
cool, My main guitar is actually a partscaster which cost 2 500 $ to put together. I can tell you that I made alot of reserch before executing that project : P
To me the most important thing about the guitar is the feel. Because if you like how it feels in your hand you will be able to play better/ get better sound.

Re: Guitar talk

Jon the Art Guy
There's a company in the USA selling Chinese and Korean guitars by the brand name of SX, Douglas, Agile, and basses with the name Brice. The company is Rondomusic, by the way. The SX strats and teles are ~100-$150, and they regularly get compared with mexi and standard Fenders. You can also get the necks in wide. The Agiles are korean LPs, and apparently people like their Agiles MORE than Gibsons in some instances. They have neck-thru(!), extra-wide neck LPs for around $700. A funny side note, Agile had some of the first available 8 string guitars, and the first mass-market 9 strings.

Problems? they be ugly. Ugly headstocks. SXs especially, as at least over here we get the weird proto-Ibanez headstock blobby thing. Also whoever does painting and staining are colorblind, as TV Yellow = BRIGHT YELLOW and vintage stain on the neck = Oompa Loompa skin.
12