Hi Guys, I'm back and I'd like some suggestions.

Hi Guys, I'm back and I'd like some suggestions.

bogey
So after a bit of a break from building due to other commitments and the shitty British winter I'm ready to get stuck in again.

I've decided there is a gap in my sonic arsenal for more distortion and I want to try a Rat (can't believe I haven't done so yet)............so which one is the one if you know what I mean. I'm open to ProCo or clone-a-like, just fishing to see which people prefer/rate.

I've also had a request from a friend to build him "something that's got loads of low-end and sounds fucked up and broken like Warren Ellis"(Bad Seeds/Grinderman). I really don't know where to start with this so, again any suggestions would be most appreciated.

It's good to be back and I look forward to hearing any advice you might have.

Best Regards,   Bogey.

Re: Hi Guys, I'm back and I'd like some suggestions.

For the Rat I’d at least build a stock one to start with since it’s such a classic. There are popular modded versions like the Blowerbox and Rat Tail but the mods are more geared towards bassists generally speaking. I’m kindof a minimalist I guess and the stock Rat is good for me. Others maybe gotta have the clipping diode switch or clean blend

For the other part, maybe like a MXR Blue Box, Schumann PLL, one of Freppo’s designs, or even a Wooly Mammoth or something. If I listen to Grinderman I think of that squelchy, compressed fuzz as being PLL like. Some of it sounds more like a keyboard + fuzz than guitar to me

Re: Hi Guys, I'm back and I'd like some suggestions.

balazs.bencs
For distortion, I really started to like the Hudson Broadcast, I really think you should give it a try - I know, it's got a transformer and a germanium tranny, but it's really sounding great.

I quickly googled "Warren Ellis pedalboard" and looks like he is actually using the MXR blue box, some octavia clone, EH Pog.. so that pedal should give you that tone.

Re: Hi Guys, I'm back and I'd like some suggestions.

That’s weird I had added a post yesterday that I also think a POG + a more generic fuzz like a Big Muff could do it but it seems to have disappeared or maybe it never worked

Re: Hi Guys, I'm back and I'd like some suggestions.

bogey
Thanks for the suggestions guys, stock rat and blue box it is then. Just put a couple of orders in for some stuff I was short of and then i'll give these a try.

In the meantime I've got some circuits from last year tested and ready for boxing........one of which happens to be the broadcast .......... so good call there.

Ooooh I'm getting all excited like a big kid (which I am by the way).

Re: Hi Guys, I'm back and I'd like some suggestions.

Addy Bart
David Rolo’s Giant Hogweed is (I think) based on the Rat but has some extras like a starve control and switchable octaves up and down. It can do all manner of sounds, but is especially good for low end filth.