High pitched noise when in bypass?!

A2Music
My friends,

I have a problem that I'm hoping someone else has experienced. Sometimes when I build a pedal it emits a very high-frequency whining sound only when the pedal is in bypass.

I have fixed this by replacing output jacks before so I thought I had the problem in hand. Tonight I have tried 4 different jacks and can't get rid of the squeal.

Since the problem doesn't exist when the pedal is on I don't blame the layout or the board that I've made. I have made dozens of pedals without this issue.

Any thoughts?

Re: High pitched noise when in bypass?!

alex.s
How is your footswitch wired? Does the effect get grounded when bypassed?

Re: High pitched noise when in bypass?!

A2Music
Thanks for the reply.
I typically wire the switch very simply with the ground to the center pin so the LED will turn on when the effect is engaged. I was just looking at a switch wiring diagram that sends the board's ins and outs to ground when the effect is off. That could be it, huh? I'll try that right away.

Thanks!

Re: High pitched noise when in bypass?!

alex.s
Grounding an effect's input seems to sometimes solve noise issues, so it might be worth trying. Let us know if it helps in your case!

Re: High pitched noise when in bypass?!

Geiri
Use this: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/02/offboard-wiring.html

You won't get any high-pitch noise.
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

That was exactly what it needed! I'm so relieved. Thanks for the help. I'm very grateful!

Re: High pitched noise when in bypass?!

Geiri
I always use this wiring method and I like it a lot. I've only once had a high-pitch sound issue before BUT that was the "analog bit crusher" circuit which somehow leaked through the grounding. I blame it on the circuit rather than the switch wiring.