Hints and tips

dexxyy
I thought i`d start a thread for general hints and tips, stuff you might do all the time and think everybody else knows about and does. Tonight i had my nephew and his mate over ( both pedal builders) while i was finishing off a pedal and they were surprised with 1 small aspect of my build. A while ago i noticed that i was taking a lot of care over my builds but i tiny thing was really annoying me, on some builds the knobs were turning off centre, nothing massive but to me it was really annoying. While surfing around i came across the solution. The knobs were running off centre cos i use split shaft pots and the grub screws on some knobs crushed the shafts together and the knobs ran off. The solution, when fitting the pots take the little stay pin that you have to snap off ( cos nobody drills a hole for them do they?) and it fits perfectly into the split in the shaft, bingo, no more off centre knobs. Neither of them knew about this so i thought i would share in case some of you guys were unaware of this too. Then again not everyone will be as anally retentive as i am  about something as small as this :-)
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: Hints and tips

Ross
In any IC-based circuit, I do the section closest to the IC first. It's really frustrating to have to drop components around the socket.

My general order for building is: Cuts, links, continuity test, signal diodes, resistors, power diodes, IC socket if applicable, nonpolarized caps, and finishing with electrolytics.  I also use 0 ohm resistors in lots of builds. Saves time when it comes to bending links, especially with double links.

Re: Hints and tips

dodido
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Hints and tips

These are one of the best things I've bought for speeding up the component stuffing process.  Allows you to get an exact bend based on the span every time:

Re: Hints and tips

Surgeon
Where do you get those and what are they called mark? I'm quite intrigued!

My tip: build a testing rig... timesaver... rock it before you box it!

Re: Hints and tips

Surgeon
Nevermind... ebay and google are my friends now... ;)

Re: Hints and tips

I got them about 3 years ago and this is where I got them from:

http://www.mastertone-amplifiers.co.uk/Guitar%20Amplifier%20Parts%20and%20Supplies%20for%20Sale/Component%20Lead%20Bender%20Tool.htm

I saved the URL, but it isn't actually listed in the Parts and Supplies for Sale section any more though so if anyone wants to buy it may be worth emailing them first to make sure they're still available.

Re: Hints and tips

adstrum
If you search for "Component Lead Bender" in eBay, it brings up the product for a Hong Kong based vendor - USD 12.50.

Re: Hints and tips

Thanks for the heads up.  Just to save people having to search:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190809140097

Re: Hints and tips

Olav
$12,50 seems a bit much for a tool I can get for €2. Depending on shipping there's some money to be saved. Seems China isn't always the cheapest option.

Re: Hints and tips

If you can get them for €2 then post up a link, I'm sure everyone would be happy with that price

Re: Hints and tips

Surgeon
Yeah there were only a couple for sale on ebay. Got a 4piece set for 15$ incliding shipping (10$ shipping... Yeah...).

Re: Hints and tips

GoranP
IvIark wrote
If you can get them for €2 then post up a link, I'm sure everyone would be happy with that price
I get these locally at around 1.5-2EUR

It's not a webshop but if anyone is interested (hard to believe they can't be found on ebay  ) I can get it and ship it pretty much anywhere.

EDIT: I forgot the fact that I think is great about this tool and it's vero building application. Unlike the other red tool, there are only five raster sizes but they correspond perfectly to vero row dimensions (7,5 / 10 / 12,5 / 15 / 17,5mm) - spanning 2/3/4/5 rows not counting the actual lead holes. Very handy.

Re: Hints and tips

Olav
Same here, not from a webstore. A shop a couple towns away, run by two old geezers. Anyone interested I can ship you these. I'm in Netherlands, EU shipping won't break the bank I don't think.

[edit]'mine' will be blue. I trust that's not a problem? ;) [/edit]

Re: Hints and tips

Nice one

Re: Hints and tips

GoranP

Mine are blue as well... also in Europe, so lemme know.

Re: Hints and tips

GoranP

OK, this is even easier (luckily I still remember some german  )

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Abbiegevorrichtung-Biegelehre-f-Widerstand-Dioden-Co-/370425214823

Re: Hints and tips

alltrax74

Re: Hints and tips

Olav
Haha, saves Goran and I a lot of trips to the post office.

Re: Hints and tips

GoranP

Good job Alltrax!