Honey Bee problems, no sound

cdc3jj
I built a SHO first with no problems, then jumped into the bee. I'm using layout 2 with the kit from mklec. I've gone through all the debugging steps but still have nothing. I've triple checked for cold solder joints. My pins read:
1 - 8.43
2 - 7.85
3 - 7.87
4 - 8.43
5 - 8.45
6 - 7.93
7 - 8.51
8 - 7.95

G - 4.13
S - 8.48
D - 8.48

battery measures 8.88

I read another post where a guy had a ground issue coming from pin 4.  I'm not using the same layout although my pin 4 should also be going to ground.

 photo photo 1_zpswgw5yc6d.jpg

 photo photo 3_zpssvwlv7um.jpg

 photo photo 2_zpseu0hztgq.jpg

Re: Honey Bee problems, no sound

PMowdes

Your ic voltages are wrong,  you should read 0v on one pin which runs to gnd.

Looks like you have a solder bridge bottom right

Re: Honey Bee problems, no sound

Ciaran Haslett
Yip...looks like all your "ground" points are not connected to each other.  There's 2 board grounds on this layout...top right and bottom left.  The one bottom left is what the IC is connected to but your readings suggest this isn't connected to power ground.  It looks like that wire is going to the far left pot?

Add a wire to every part that says ground (the board, any pots, and the battery negative and jacks) and just twist them together.  Once you're happy with how it sounds you can make this neater when you go to box it.

Re: Honey Bee problems, no sound

cdc3jj
Thanks for the replies. I ran a jumper wire between the two ground points. I checked continuity and all the ground points are connected. I now have a constant hum but still no guitar signal. New voltages are:

1 - 0.07
2 - 4.17
3 - 3.00 and I get a slight blink from the LEDs when I check this one
4 - 0.00
5 - 0.08
6 - 4.22
7 - 8.38
8 - 4.44

G - 0.00
S - 0.29
D - 7.63

I feel as though I am fast approaching the start over point. Thank you again for the help.

Re: Honey Bee problems, no sound

PMowdes

I my (limited) experience, I've found a hum from the audio probe is usually the supply voltage bleeding through into the audio signal.

I'd be inclinded to double check all your cuts and links.  Run a thin saw blade between the tracks and clean with a dry tooth brush.  Sometimes a mistake can be very small.

Also do you have the transistor in the right way??

Re: Honey Bee problems, no sound

Ciaran Haslett
Readings still don't look right.  Forgive me if this sounds basic but...

IC is numbered like this...

1 u 8
2 - 7
3 - 6
4 - 5

Confirm that every ground point on the board and anywhere else has continuity with your battery negative....including pin 4 on IC.  While your doing this you could also check that any component leg thats suppose to be connected together on a row actually are.  Test this continuity on the component legs themselves and not on the copper side.  This will help find any cold solder joints.

Using your multimeter, set it to DC volts, put the black probe on the battery negative and use the red probe on each pin of the IC and fet and write them down.

Try touching up some iffy looking soldering.

And is that a cut next to the bottom left ground wire?  If so, bridge that.

Don't worry man!  We'll get there