How Hard is it to Trace a Circuit?

pyreweb
I tried out an EQD Levitation Reverb in the local guitar store a few weeks ago, and I loved it. But it's quite expensive, and I run a stereo rig, so I'd want two. Also it'd be nice to be able to replace the pots with digipots for MIDI control.

So I was considering getting one, around Christmas, and then tracing the circuit and making a couple more of my own. I know it's based on the EQD reverb that's on here, so I don't think there should be DSP problems. Just wondering if anyone could advise how tricky tracing and replicating a circuit actually is?

Thanks!

Re: How Hard is it to Trace a Circuit?

Blackboarcult
Not to be a killjoy here, but the Levitation seems a tough job to trace: relay switches and bypass, belton brick, possibly propietary ic's and a load of features in a wee box makes me suspect of surface-mounting components and maybe multilayer pcb. Unless you are really well-versed in audio electronics you would probably spend way more hours worth of money tracing it than the cost of the original itself. Hard to tell without gutshots anyway ;-)

Re: How Hard is it to Trace a Circuit?

pyreweb
Not a killjoy at all - much better to know that now than after buying one!

Thanks very much for the advice, that's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

Re: How Hard is it to Trace a Circuit?

Blackboarcult
Alwqys glad to help  however, do remember that it's just my guessing and my opinion, haven't seen the actual innards - It will eventually surface sometime at FSB I guess