How to shape lfo

edo1123
Hello guys, long time since my last post. I'm here asking for some help to understand how to get sine, square, sawtooth and reverse sawtooth out of a basic cmos lfo. My understanding so far is that putting a capacitor to ground can make the lfo a sine wave (I guess since I'm adding a low pass filter somehow) and I saw on an ugly face vero board where the output of the oscillator had 2 diodes put to ground to get a sawtooth and reverse sawtooth shape (once again I'm guessing it's some kind of "hard clipping"). My issue is that I don't fully understand if these methods are strictly related to how the lfo is generated (via opamp) or it's something "universal" applicable to every lfo (even one generated by a CD40106). Hope it was clear enough.