How to validate JFETs?

rosshenning
I have a big batch of J201s and I have one of the $20 Chinese transistor testers from eBay.  Some of the J201s from this batch test as JFETs, and others test as BJTs.  I can't see any discernible difference on the physical exterior of these transistors.  I'm wondering if I truly have a mixed batch of authentic and fake J201s, or if this tester can't be trusted.  Is there a definitive test that I could run with my VOM to tell me if these are real or not?

Re: How to validate JFETs?

I don't know whether the tester is trust worthy but the price may give you a clue.  Personally I'd test a selection of them with the JFET tester on here, see what numbers you come up with and then have a socketed JFET circuit ready to test them in.  If you test the numbers and the sound you get from them that should tell you all you need to know.