Hudson Electronics Broadcast whine

SpaceCommandant
I've just built the second layout with the 1054 and it sounds great except for a pretty noticeable whine. I was using the audio probe to suss it out and noticed that when I had one probe on ground and the  other on pin 7, the whine vanished. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated..
(It was reading 6.2V, BTW)

Re: Hudson Electronics Broadcast whine

Addy Bart
I have not built the Hudson Broadcast but have you tried adding a little board with the Humminator on? It's helped me before with power supply noise.

Re: Hudson Electronics Broadcast whine

SpaceCommandant
Thanks for the reply.. I ended up building an 18v charge pump and trying that out instead, and it sounds fine now. I only had one 1054 so I couldn't swap it out to see if the chip was the problem. The pitch of the whine would lower as I touched the top of the chip, too. Kind of odd.

Re: Hudson Electronics Broadcast whine

Addy Bart
Weird... I've had the exact same problem when building the delyk effects tester v2 board. Touching the chip (think it was a MAX1044) changed the pitch of the whine. I didn't figure out the problem so in the end I left it off the board. All my builds have been 9v anyway, so no biggie.

Re: Hudson Electronics Broadcast whine

traktop
I´m having problems with the MAX1044 as well, (24v charge pump).
First one died, (don´t know why as my power supply never goes above 8.97v), second one started to produce a terrible whine, after a while, if got near the in/out jack shockets, (at about 10cms away the whine dissapeared though..).
Third one is working properly... Until now... (fingers crossed)