I built a Tremulus Lune. Smooth pot and lfo led resistor

I built a Tremulus Lune. Smooth pot and lfo led resistor

nonost
Hi. Well, it is actually a Shoot the Moon. The one with speed, depth and wave (smooth) pots. It's a great tremolo, however I felt the wave pot wasn't very effective.

Something interesting happened yesterday when I used a 9v battery with it. The flashing led wasn't working but the pedal did. I thought that maybe the two led legs were touching each other or something. To my surprise when I played with the wave pot I felt it like much better than before...then I measured the 9v battery and it was around 7.7v, the led wasn't flashing because of the almost dead battery.

I think the flashing led affects the sound badly. Does it make sense to increase the 1k resistor across the led to make it less brighter? I'm thinking that could improve the behaviour of the pot.

Cheers!

pd: I'm talking about the LFO flashing for the outside, not the one in front the LDR

Re: I built a Tremulus Lune. Smooth pot and lfo led resistor

nocentelli
The smooth or shape pot should audibly blend between a squarewave/on-off trem and a triangle-ish sound, and on the way pass through a slightly rounded 'sort of sine wave' in the middle. It is much easier to tell if it's working at the slowest speed, where the indicator LED will switch on and off completely at the square wave end of the pot, and the ramp-up and ramp-down become progressively more obvious and longer as you move the pot towards the triangle wave end.

The indicator LED is hooked up across the top one of two resistors that form a V/2 voltage divider on the LFO output: This means that the LED is powered by the voltage difference of consistently half the LFO opamp's output voltage. In this way, the indicator LED can visually articulate the wave shape (i.e. square or triangle) and this LED's brightness is not affected by the depth pot setting. Because it is independent of the depth pot, changing the resistor values may affect the "visualisation" (although the 2 x 1k specified should work fine with any LED) but cannot affect how the smooth pot works. If your resistors are not actually both 1k (e.g. if one was 10 ohms instead) this might possibly mess with the LFO output, worth checking but seems unlikely.

Re: I built a Tremulus Lune. Smooth pot and lfo led resistor

nonost
That's a great answer! I really appreciate it.

I think you're right. The wave/smooth pote is more noticeable at slower speeds. I guess I hadn't spent the enough time with the effect!

I love this tremolo, sounds amazing. It's able to chop, subtle if you want and also crazy spacial at higher depth settings (arpeggio rules here).

Thanks ;)