I "invented" this little thing the other day..

I "invented" this little thing the other day..

Geiri
There's one little problem I've had a few times before, and that has to do with building pedals with more than one LED mounted on the enclosure. I usually use those "super-mega-bright" LEDs that are clear until you turn them on. I just like them more. Sometimes they aren't equally as bright when you use the same value resistor to limit the brightness.

So I put this little board together where I'm using a 16-pin socket to test the brightness of the LEDs. From top to bottom are the following resistors limiting the 9v: 1K, 2.2K, 2.7K, 3.3K, 4.7K, 5.1K and 5.6K

It's handy if I feel that the LEDs won't be the same brightness so I can kind of match them.

I know this is not really an invention but hey, if someone else feels that he could use this then by all means, make your own!
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: I "invented" this little thing the other day..

Geiri
If anyone finds this interesting at all then I can whip up a layout for it. Not that it's difficult
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: I "invented" this little thing the other day..

Olav
LOL @ the layout suggestion. Kudos on 'inventing' the LTS (short for LED Testing Station) which I'm sure will become an Industry Standard in about a day or two and become available from Chinese wholesalers in a week. Looks like a handy little thing which, although I probably won't use it often, will be usefull to have in the Utility Drawer.

Re: I "invented" this little thing the other day..

Good idea mate. I often just chuck any resistor in there without thinking and it would be good to check the results with different types

Re: I "invented" this little thing the other day..

Geiri
Haha there's definitely no genius about this but yeah it's nice to have. I don't use it all the time but when I get new LEDs from different places, I check them to see how bright they are. When I've been using them for a while, I remember what resistors I use for them but as I said, it's nice to have IF needed.

I like little things like this. I built the JFET matcher and I use it religiously.
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: I "invented" this little thing the other day..

smoss469
Nice impromptu flash light as well!

Re: I "invented" this little thing the other day..

GoranP
I have a little breadboard that I keep set-up with a very similar contraption. I mostly do dual effect enclosures and different color leds (especially the waterclear superbrights) definitely have different intensities for the same resistor values.

My little breadboard has two sockets for leds and two pots. I plug in the actual leds I want to use and I tweak the pots to get equal brightness and appropriate intensity (superbrights tend to be quite blinding when used full-on so I like to dim them just a bit). Then I read the pot values and use appropriate resistors in my build.

Your setup looks cooler, though.

Re: I "invented" this little thing the other day..

Geiri
That's a great idea, I like it!
www.pedalprojects.com

toddvirgil
Nice ideas guys! Quick question Geiri (from a newbie) -- why solder the full track from the resistor to the socket? Looks cool, but is there a functional reason?

Re: I "invented" this little thing the other day..

Geiri
Haha nope no functional reason at all! Just felt like doing it for the sake of looks
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: I "invented" this little thing the other day..

PStevenson

along the same kind of thing - here is a constant current LED tester

http://www.paulinthelab.com/2012/06/led-tester.html
www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts

Re: I "invented" this little thing the other day..

Geiri
Awesome, thanks!

Ásgeir Helgi Þrastarson
Studio & Live sound engineer
Guitar Pedal Builder
Guitarist
+447761108012
[hidden email]
[hidden email]

On Monday, 15. April 2013 at 19:35, PStevenson [via Guitar FX Layouts] wrote:

along the same kind of thing - here is a constant current LED tester

http://www.paulinthelab.com/2012/06/led-tester.html
www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/I-invented-this-little-thing-the-other-day-tp3022p3051.html
To unsubscribe from I "invented" this little thing the other day.., click here.
NAML

www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: I "invented" this little thing the other day..

toddvirgil
Geiri wrote
Haha nope no functional reason at all! Just felt like doing it for the sake of looks
Haha... that's awesome. It looks wicked :)