IC pins

GoranP

This is probably a daft question but I'm curious what you guys' opinion is...

Some of the ICs I've gotten lately have their pins spread out really wide which I'm sure is not entirely up to factory spec. I usually bend them back using whatever pliers I have nearby at that point but there's got to be a better way.

Also, is there a point in making them perfectly straight and perpendicular to chip? I'd think that a small discrepancy from the vertical should help in better contact with the socket (especially the cheap chinese ones that don't grip the pins very thightly). Granted, this isn't a high-vibration application but pedals do get kicked around and, well, stomped on. :)

Re: IC pins

alltrax74
I don't really bother about the pins orientation, i usually bend them back with my fingers.
On the other hand, i buy quality sockets like these

instead of those

Re: IC pins

Madferret
I use the cheapo sockets and pinch the IC between my finger and thumb first I've never had a problem yet.  There are some dedicated IC pin straighteners out there but to me they just look like sockets that aren't connected to a board.

Re: IC pins

GoranP
@alltrax: i tried those sockets and they are even harder (at least to me) to fit the ic's unless the pins are really straight. They do feel better once the ic is in, though.

@mf: i can't seem to bend them straight enough just using my fingers, hence the pliers. :)

Re: IC pins

alltrax74
GoranP wrote
They do feel better once the ic is in, though.
That's my point, but I agree with MadFerret, the cheap ones also do the job

Re: IC pins

Geiri
I hold each side of the IC (as in the top and bottom, where there aren't any pins) and put one side where the pins are agains the table and bend them all equally together. Then I flip it over and do the same with the other end. Simple and works perfectly!
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects