Ibanex NB-10 noise buster problem

motterpaul
Sorry to post here but I find my comment section posts are not being seen.

I have built the Ibanez NB10 and checked it thoroughly. Voltage appears to be fine everywhere, but the audio doesn't get through the first 4558 even though it is powered up. Has anyone else built this from here successfully? It says verified but I also noticed in comments some things were changed in layout after the fact.

The only values I changed by need - one 470k R (left side) instead of 510k and two 6.8n caps instead of 8.2n.

Here is the schematic I believe was used: http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/lars-musik/media/1590a/NB10_schem.jpg.html

This schematic eliminates the Ibanez bypass circuitry.

Here is the layout:

Re: Ibanex NB-10 noise buster problem

Chris60601
Ah - thanks the the schem link in this MP! I now have yet another project to create :)

And to that, I have been given the opportunity to start offering these Eagle Cad layouts via the DIYSB FB group (of course, I could do my own also FB group - still toying with that one. But I'm a lazy SOB so probably not - LOL).

To be honest, I been feeling a bit off about putting them here since the concentration is really about vero layouts anyways.  It just seems more appropriate to do so over yonder :) Just wanted to let anyone that has considered these, that I'll continue to do this (for free of course) because I'm still not as efficient as I want to be, but the files will be elsewhere.

So, if you do want a layout file, feel free to either email me here (and include the schem) and as time allows, I'll be happy to do up a file for ya.

Cheers
Chris
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: Ibanex NB-10 noise buster problem

motterpaul
Hmmm... I am not sure, but over at another site they are saying that source of schematics often has bad information. Now, it could be a different site, or it could be that this layout was made from a different schematic. But the thread where I read this was specifically about an Ibanez NB-10 schematic that takes out the usual Ibanez FET-based buffered bypass (as the pictured project also does).

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=112789.msg1042332#msg1042332

Re: Ibanex NB-10 noise buster problem

motterpaul
Anyway - I am going to try the MXR noise gate instead. The one-knob noise gate it pretty good, but I liked the filtering the NB-10 offered. Also - the ISP Decimator has three or four ICs I have never heard of...

I think I could find a used one for less hassle.

Re: Ibanex NB-10 noise buster problem

Hozy31
Hey Motterpaul,

I built this one last week and it works really well, better than my decimator. Maybe post some images of your build in case we can spot any problems.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Ibanex NB-10 noise buster problem

Alex
Hey Paul.
This is the schematic I've used:
http://www.dirk-hendrik.com/temp/ibanez_nb10.pdf
The layout has always been the same.
The links and cuts layout didn't match the main layout.
That's all I've changed on January the 10th but I forgot to write it.
Try to double-check those first.

Re: Ibanex NB-10 noise buster problem

Muadzin
motterpaul wrote
Anyway - I am going to try the MXR noise gate instead. The one-knob noise gate it pretty good, but I liked the filtering the NB-10 offered. Also - the ISP Decimator has three or four ICs I have never heard of...

I think I could find a used one for less hassle.
Ironically the only IC that's a little hard to source is the THAT2181. But not impossible as Musikding and Banzai carry them. Everything else you can get easily from Tayda, which I did. The LM1894 on the other hand is sheer unobtainium. Either expensive US Ebay sellers or shady Chinese Ebay con artists.

Re: Ibanex NB-10 noise buster problem

motterpaul
I THINK I have the LM1894N, I guess that could be bad but it has voltage readings, I have been all over this build and can't find a problem so I will post some pics.

Re: Ibanex NB-10 noise buster problem

motterpaul
Thanks all - I did get it working and it does work great. It takes the hum right out of at least one pedal I have tried without using a gate (kind of surprising) and so far it does not even seem to change the tone.

I do get the best noise reduction with the pot on full 1k, so I wonder if/when I get even more hum (8 pedals combined including compressor, EG, etc) if I might need a bigger pot.

This LM chip is rumored to be based on the old Dolby standard (!), where what some companies found they could get the hiss out of Dolby encoded recordings without using the Dolby licensed decoding process. This was the chip they used to put on Car Radios and Cassette decks for a switch notated as "Dolby" to dis-encode recordings or radio signals that had originally been made with Dolby;  this is AKA "single-ended Dolby."

It turned out my main problem was in my test box because I wanted to add a square wave oscillator for my audio probe but I mistakenly broke the throughput on the effects in/out. Once I figured that out, the effect worked.

Thanks for your help to find the problem.

Re: Ibanex NB-10 noise buster problem

For future reference please keep your troubleshooting posts in the debugging section