Ibanez NB-10 Noise Buster

larry
Hi,

I have build this pedal as shown on this site from Alex. All components are as described only I have used RC4558C or KIA4558P or TL72 (I don't have JRC4558D) and pedal is not working. No sound is passed when engaged.

I have build more than 30 pedals so far and can't debug this one.

Did any one had a similar problem with this one? Any suggestion?

I have red what schematics that are circulating trough web are false...

Any help is appreciated.

Bye,
Larry

Re: Ibanez NB-10 Noise Buster

are you getting bipassed signal? what are your voltages for your IC? some things you should check in the meantime is that you're in & out wires are right and that you're not grounding out somewhere.

Re: Ibanez NB-10 Noise Buster

larry
Thanks for reply. :-)

Yes, bypassed signal is ok.

Voltages are:

Left IC:

1: 0.2
2: 0.86
3: 0.61
4: 0.22
5: 0.22
6: 0.22
7: 0.24
8: 0.20

Right IC:

1: 0.24
2: 0.9
3: 0.9
4: 0.15
5: 0.25
6: 0.22
7: 0.26
8: 0.23

Middle (LM1894n) IC:

1: 0.25
2: 0.24
3: 0.19
4: 0.24
5: 0.20
6: 0.19
7: 0.20
8: 0.25
9: 0.25
10: 0.25
11: 0.24
12: 0.25
13: 0.25
14: 0.25

Grounding is ok, and all lines on vero are checked...

If you need any more info, please ask me.

Re: Ibanez NB-10 Noise Buster

Alex
Hi Larry.
The layout has been built and verified a while back.
Looking at your voltages there is definitely a problem with your built.
You should have 0 at ground points (4558's pin 4, 1894's pin 7) and +9V on 4558's pin 8 & 1894's pin 1.
Have you checked your power supply? Cuts? Possible bridges?

Re: Ibanez NB-10 Noise Buster

induction
If you post pictures we can probably be more helpful.

Re: Ibanez NB-10 Noise Buster

larry
Yes, I know...there is something wrong...here are pics maybe you guys can see it, any suggestion is appreciated. I will build completely new one this weekend and give it a go.

One question, it is maybe a noob one but just to be sure in mine thinking...when you receive a 0 ohm resistor in pack (a kit sale from ebay) it is basically a jumper like a ordinary wire?

I had a problems with this long jumpers on board and thinking to place this 0 ohm resistors in place since wire is just to thick for sockets to fit in...good or bad idea?

Here are pics:

I'll report back with new board, but if you guys see something in meant time tell me please. :-)

Re: Ibanez NB-10 Noise Buster

induction
Pin 8 of the the top right IC is directly connected to your PSU, so either your PSU is malfunctioning, or the red wire at the top right corner if the board has a bad solder joint. Compare the voltage directly on the adapter or battery to the voltage on the top row of copper near that connection.

I notice that many of your wires show indications of overheating and/or being moved while soldering (the plastic sleeve is melted and bunched). Never hold the soldering iron on any component or wire for more than one second, and secure the board and wires so that they don't move while you're working. The melted plastic can form a layer between the solder and the wire and prevent conduction. That may be the problem here, or might not.

Your trace side photo is too small and low resolution to be of any use for debugging.

Re: Ibanez NB-10 Noise Buster

larry
Thanks for all the info so far, you are very nice collages guys.

OK, I have got the voltages right, all are as you said they need to be (pins 4 on 4558 and on 1894 pin 7 are 0,0 and on pins 8 on 4558 and pin 1894 pin 1 are 9,12), pot sweep changes sound - but not too much.

Problem was with jumpers - right ones that are from wire are too thick and ic socket did not connect right so I have soldered two jumper pins and form a long jumpers and also have resolder some all wires and power wire.

One thing that troubles me is that it produces hum...like high gain pedal (I have connected it to power pallet hum reduction box and it is the same - my power pallet reduces hum on high gain pedals so it is working properly). I have connected it also in chain with pedal I know produces hiss and noise and it does nothing to cancel them.

I don't know is this normal (it is a noise gate - so I presume that it is not) but don't know what could cause this? Do you guys have any suggestion? Board is not boxed, will that change anything in this kind of circuit?

Re: Ibanez NB-10 Noise Buster

strassercaster
I built one this week no hum . My only issue is it really filters out the highs . I have to leave the pot on zero or 8 oclock other wise the more i turn it up the more highs i lose

Re: Ibanez NB-10 Noise Buster

that's part of the problem with noise gates and suppressors, it's in the way they work. what they do is try and remove the high pitch noise, but each works in a slightly different way. noise gates are like a clamp, so any sound above a certain point gets cut, as in kills those frequencies, and not just affect hiss/hum. suppressors on the other hand does not actually close like a clamp and work by filtering certain frequencies, with the intention of effecting only the hiss/hum.

personally i don't and wont use either. i do think it robs some of the tone and life from my signal, plus depending on what pedals you're using hiss can be good like in fuzzes where it adds life. sometimes the hiss is coming from you're pickups picking up background noise, especially in single coils, vintage style pickups, and unpotted pickups. this is how companies like EMG came to be and make all their money. EMGs in particular are dead silent even with some of the most notoriously noisey pedals. but the trade off is they are rather lifeless on their own, IMHO. if you look at a lot of players of EMG pickups use a lot of effects, case in point Les Claypool. without the silence of the EMGs and all the effects he uses he'd have a tone of background noise.

Re: Ibanez NB-10 Noise Buster

strassercaster
i use off falls from resistors for short jumpers and i buy 24awg and 26awg solid for the longer ones.