Implementing Baby 8 sequencer to Maestro FSH filter or any other 13700 filter

Implementing Baby 8 sequencer to Maestro FSH filter or any other 13700 filter

kuzieem
Hello.
Anyone tried to plug the Baby8 sequencer to an enevelope filter?  I've already built the Sharkfin (Maestro Filter) but prefer to have sequence controlled Sample

Re: Implementing Baby 8 sequencer to Maestro FSH filter or any other 13700 filter

GrooveChampion
OK first of all you have to understand that the Baby 8 puts out CV, which is not the same as an expression in.

Second of all implementing it within the FSH would be a hassle and if you are capable of building a Baby 8 that puts out an expression signal it would be easier to just build a sweepable filter with a pot and hooking that up.

Re: Implementing Baby 8 sequencer to Maestro FSH filter or any other 13700 filter

clockman
Agreed. reworking the Maestro FSH to accept control voltage from the baby 8 would be difficult.

There are two layouts  on the forum that use the LM13700 chip and already have CV IN capability.
 the Wasp filter and the Korg MS20. be sure to read the build notes and comments

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Jurgen-Haible-Wasp-VCFilter-tp31320p31412.html;cid=1509664339191-190

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Korg-MS20-LP-HP-Filter-tp31433.html;cid=1509664339191-190

I have built the first and tried the baby 8 with it.  I have not yet built the second.

For a similar effect one could also build the Tapanator wah and use the baby 8 to drive it instead of the tapanator.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2016/09/madbean-tapanator-projects.html
  Happy building!

Re: Implementing Baby 8 sequencer to Maestro FSH filter or any other 13700 filter

kuzieem
So.. The easiest way will be to drive a LED by a cv out and use an LDR hooked to filter pot, am I right?
I thought  the cv impulse can control the filter by plugging the impulse to lm13700 legs (1 and 14)...

09.11.2017 7:09 PM "GrooveChampion [via Guitar FX Layouts]" <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
OK first of all you have to understand that the Baby 8 puts out CV, which is not the same as an expression in.

Second of all implementing it within the FSH would be a hassle and if you are capable of building a Baby 8 that puts out an expression signal it would be easier to just build a sweepable filter with a pot and hooking that up.

To unsubscribe from Implementing Baby 8 sequencer to Maestro FSH filter or any other 13700 filter, click here.
NAML

NAML

NAML

Re: Implementing Baby 8 sequencer to Maestro FSH filter or any other 13700 filter

kuzieem
Still can't see why the Sharkfin (Maestro FSH) can work with this cv generator:

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Sample-amp-Hold-Add-On-Board-from-the-Sharkfin-td31043.html

and cant work with the baby8 cv generator...

Re: Implementing Baby 8 sequencer to Maestro FSH filter or any other 13700 filter

clockman
this is a good read on all things auto wah.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiJgMLF8LPXAhVTziYKHTkeBFwQFggoMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geofex.com%2Farticle_folders%2Fecftech%2Fecftech.htm&usg=AOvVaw1Gl4usxW0Ohf8FxmQlHf41
 my understanding is this, one would have to disable the triggering section of the FSH and render it a static filter first and then add the baby 8 CV in its place.

I did this on another auto wah.
http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Craig-Anderton-Envelope-Controlled-Super-Tone-Control-Auto-Wah-tp26299.html;cid=1510312444699-801
 MAO pedals puts out great layouts. thanx again MAO!

sorry I can't offer more help on the FSH. I would still suggest the the Tapanator wah driven by the baby 8  as a reasonable  substitute for the effect you may be looking for.
good luck.

Re: Implementing Baby 8 sequencer to Maestro FSH filter or any other 13700 filter

GrooveChampion
Wait you can drive a LED with a CV?

Re: Implementing Baby 8 sequencer to Maestro FSH filter or any other 13700 filter

clockman
Yes.

  If we're still talking about the Baby8 then, as labeled in the notes, "sens 2 is CV out"  Use that for the anode side of an LED and the cathode side to ground.

  The Baby 8 is now driving an LED.. which can be paired with an LDR.. which opens a bunch of possibilities.
 I've tried it with a few different effects, give it a shot.

So basically you can easily incorporate the sequencer into this circuit.

Re: Implementing Baby 8 sequencer to Maestro FSH filter or any other 13700 filter

clockman
 Yes.
 from Baby8 sens2 CV out to tap jack tip of Tap wah and ground to tap jack sleeve.

 Have you built the Tapanator tap tempo controller? It is a great controller for all sorts of stuff.
 I managed an ugly hack from it so you can tap tempo control the baby8 from it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjIwfGMh7bXAhUIziYKHcF4DKAQFggoMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Felectricdruid.net%2Ftap-tempo-lfo-taplfo-v2d%2F&usg=AOvVaw1smv4zroA3L85JZIw1aX8F

 electric druid's site shows the pin out of the chip. pin 7 is clock out. attach a single wire to it and run that to ext clock in of Baby8.

 you now can have a tap tempo controlled sequencer.

Re: Implementing Baby 8 sequencer to Maestro FSH filter or any other 13700 filter

kuzieem
Well guys... Happy to say: You were wrong.

I finally found some time to play with those circuits and... voila!
Plugging cv from the Baby8 to legs 1-16 of 13700 Maestro FSH (before the 22k resistors) worked! Just needed to use a 1M pot in series to make blend/sweep control. Sounds exactly as I wanted (sample&hold with predictable steps unlike the random one).

Another tip: decreasing R4 from 100k to e.g. 75k gives more responsive, louder output.

GrooveChampion
Well I'll be damned, this thing must sound wicked

Re: Implementing Baby 8 sequencer to Maestro FSH filter or any other 13700 filter

clockman
 fantastic. I'm going to give that a go by this weekend. thanks for the info!

Re: Implementing Baby 8 sequencer to Maestro FSH filter or any other 13700 filter

SpaceCommandant
Awesome, I'm going to try that. Do you mean attach the cv to legs 1 and 16? So, on the layout I suppose you'd put it on the third row from the bottom, between the 150n and 22k?

Re: Implementing Baby 8 sequencer to Maestro FSH filter or any other 13700 filter

kuzieem
Legs 1-16 but before the two 22k. So it will be directly to the collector of 3906. Remember to use a pot in line (1M is best but 500K may do as well) as plugging cv without it won't work.

You're welcome. Remember to use a pot before it as it won't work without it.