Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

Mpsya
Hi all

I recently came across this on Instructables.com and hoped someone might be able to draw up a layout for it. Sounds like it might be interesting!

The schematic is available via the link.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.instructables.com/id/NOT-Like-a-BOSS-Distortion/%3Famp_page%3Dtrue

Very low part count other than all those knobs!

Cheers

Re: Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

Silver Blues
I gotcha, working on it right now.

Re: Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

Give that a look over, hopefully it's ok. Pot numbering may or may not be backwards.

EDIT Fixed.

Re: Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

Mpsya
Wow, that was incredibly quick!

Thank you so much. I'll get a parts order in and get it verified ASAP.

Thanks again, enormously appreciated!

Re: Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

Silver Blues
No worries  hopefully it's all good.

Re: Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

Kajnjaps
I might be confused, but could it be that you swapped collector and emitter of the transistors?

Re: Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

Pivetta
The ground connection on the L row is missing. I think the transistors are just reverse

Re: Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

Silver Blues
Yup you're both correct. I just did the transistors without checking the pinout of those specific models, I'll fix it.

Re: Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

Kajnjaps
Great work! Super fast too!

Re: Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

glasspak73
Has anyone made a sound sample of this by any chance? I'm really interested in this one but would like to hear it befor i build it. I Dont Mean any offense to anyone i just like to try and check them out first to see if it even fits my type of playing.I really really suck at guitar LOL

Also sorry forgot to ask.Do the transistors need to be matched to work correctly? Is this similar to  Tone Gods Finish Line?

I have no idea but I would say they probably don't need to be matched.

Re: Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

Mpsya
I'm going to try and get it built over the weekend. I'll report back if I manage to get it finished.

Re: Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

glasspak73
I'm building it also today should be done tonight or tomorrow then i will start tweaking it.i might be able to make a short video for sound sample but it will be with my phone

Re: Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

Kajnjaps
Hi,

The transistors need not be (beta) paired, at least I didn't pair them. It isn't similar to the Tone God Finish Line.
I'd love to hear how it works out

Re: Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

glasspak73
I built it and still playing around with different transistors.so far i barely even get overdrive but no distortion or fuzz type sounds.Its probly the junk transistors i have.i love it stacked befor my English Muff'n it makes one hell of a solo booster.I'm still playing with it though i'll try to keep ya posted.

Re: Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

Kajnjaps
glasspak73 wrote
Hmmm  What type of transistors have you used?

Re: Instructables Not like a BOSS distortion

Mpsya
I finally finished it over the weekend. I obviously don't have anything to compare it against but I believe it is working as it should.

I am getting a distortion with a fuzzy edge. There's not a great deal of distortion even when cranked but what there is sounds good to my ears. The bias pot changes the nature of the distortion (more splatty and fuzzy in several settings) with several 'dead' spots but I guess this is to be expected with this kind of control.

The shape knobs affect the signal quite dramatically depending on the bias setting and there's plenty of useable and not so useable sounds to be had. I tried swicthing out R1, 18 and 19 as suggested in the Madbean thread but found the stock values sounded best.

I have only had chance to play it at low volume and looking forward to getting it turned up!

Does it sound like a BOSS unit? No, and that's the point!

I think we can consider this one verified.

Thanks to Kajnjaps, Silver Blues and everyone else who has contributed.