Insulated 1/4" jacks from Tayda

toddvirgil
Hey,

So i ordered some of these for my first build because I like the look of them and they seem to be used on some of my more premium pedals.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/6-35mm-1-4-plugs-jacks/6-35mm-1-4-stereo-insulated-switched-socket-jack-solder-lugs.html

My question is: Since they're not metal-on-metal on the enclosure, do I need to ground the circuit to the box in some way? If so, any recommendations on how I do that? I'm a total newbie with this stuff....

Also, seems like  alot of my pedals use a stereo jack on the input to complete the 9V connection -- is this good practice, and if so, any diagrams on how I do that?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: Insulated 1/4" jacks from Tayda

sta.papad
Hi.! You can solder a wire from ground to the back of one of the pots.

Re: Insulated 1/4" jacks from Tayda

toddvirgil
Thanks! Any ideas on wiring the stereo jack for switching the circuit? If I use a stereo jack on the output, do I just jumper the bottom and middle rings?

Re: Insulated 1/4" jacks from Tayda

dodido
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Insulated 1/4" jacks from Tayda

toddvirgil
Awesome, I'm adding a battery so that was my intent. I'll see if I can find a good wiring diagram somewhere :) I'm still getting my head around circuits in general.

Re: Insulated 1/4" jacks from Tayda

toddvirgil
Here's a pretty good explanation for anyone else interested:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalPower/

Re: Insulated 1/4" jacks from Tayda

alex.s
This might sound like a very stupid question, but here it is... Is it actually necessary to connect the box itself to ground? Does it help in shielding/reducing noise? Or is it just a convenient way of connecting the in and out jack sleeves?

I ask because I have some of those plastic enclosed sockets which I might use on an enclosure which will have in and out on the back and was thinking about simply connecting the pins as it looks like it's been done in this image.

Reason I ask is because I've always assumed it would work just fine as long as the ground keeps running down the chain through the jacks but am now wondering whether "using" the enclosure might actually be useful? Either way it would serve as a Faraday cage and help isolate from radio interferences, but is there more to it? I'm inclined to think not, but please do correct me if I'm wrong..!

Re: Insulated 1/4" jacks from Tayda

toddvirgil
Great question alex.s ...

I've read elsewhere on the site that grounding the enclosure is important, but would love to know why...