Into The Unknown - Version 2.1

MAO

Into The Unknown - Version 2.1

MAO
This post was updated on .
Update 12/03 - See Freppo's  additional comments and the newest "simplified" layout dated 12/03/2018

Update 11/30 - See Freppo's post on 11/30 and the newest "simplified" layout dated 11/30/2018

Update 11/28 - icziko spotted an error, see updated layout below (dated 11/28/2018)

Update 10/08 - Found the 470k resistor on right side of layout out of position by 1 row.  Corrected.

The newest tick free version.

I can confirm the v2.1 pcb from Parasit Studio is tick free, even with the dip switches in the off position! And certainly worth every penny.

If you don't already know Parasit Studio, Fredrik (Freppo) has a lot of interesting, innovative pedals. And the PCBs are fantastic!

I started out with Alex's original layout, moved some things around and added the new stuff from version 2.1.

You can use sockets and 2 links instead of the dip switch.

Hopefully this layout will also be tick free...

See the build doc for all the infos.

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
MAO

Re: Into The Unknown - Version 2.1

MAO
Found the 470k resistor on right side of layout out of position by 1 row.  (470k should go between U4 pin9 and the link that connects to U4 pin 12)

I uploaded the corrected layout.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Into The Unknown - Version 2.1

icziko
Very nice layout. I checked as per schematic and the only difference is that DIP switch at 6th row should be 3 rows down in 9th row. DIP switch in 7th row remain as it is. Of course if all DIPs are in ON state then this correction is not necessary.
MAO, You wrote that You still experiwnce ticking with this layout. Is it true even if LFO switch is in OFF position?
MAO

Re: Into The Unknown - Version 2.1

MAO
Holy cow, I completely forgot I had posted this updated layout!!!

My comments related to ticking only referred to the layouts on the main site, not this layout

I 'm now thinking I had even started building this one but had put it aside to take care of some other orders I had received.

I will look it over tonight and get back to you.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
MAO

Re: Into The Unknown - Version 2.1

MAO
Great catch icziko!

It looks like an easy fix: Move the DIP SW to the right 1 column, move the top of D2 down 1 row, add a link to the left of the DIP SW from row 6 to row 10.

Hopefully the DIP switch will still fit in that space.

I've updated the layout. (I'll leave the original one up for reference in case someone has started it)

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
MAO

Re: Into The Unknown - Version 2.1

MAO
One mod I was thinking about is engaging the LFO with a stomp switch instead of the on/off/on toggle switch.

A "new" on/on toggle pre-selects triangle or square wave, but the newly added stomp switch would actually engage the LFO.

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Into The Unknown - Version 2.1

Freppo
Hi folks,

Nice to see a vero layout of the Into the Unknown. Great job! :)

However, I just wanted you to know that I went to alot of trouble to keep the 2.0 PCB drill-hole compatible with the 1.0 version, since I had a bunch of drilled enclosures already.
A DPDT switch would not fit in between the pots, so that's why the CD4066 was added - DPDT action from a single SPDT switch.

Without these layout constraints you could simply omit the CD4066 (and a few more components) and use a DPDT on/off/on switch insted to save space and cost.

So you could use this schematic insted, and redo the vero layout. It should make it alot smaller. :)

Insted of the dip-switch, I put these links (A and B) on the schematic insted. I think they make more sense.
Link A1 to A2 to get the gated LFO action
Link B1 to B2 to get a free running LFO (which may cause ticking)
Don't link both! (This will cause a short when U4.2 goes high)

If you wanted to, you could split the DPDT into two separate SPDT switches, one for the waveshape and one for the LFO on/off. In that case, make the waveshape switch a SPDT on/on just as SW3.1 is shown on the schematic.

For the LFO on/off switch, you could make it a SPDT on/on like this:

Or a SPDT on/off/on (for gated/off/free-running) like this:

Cheers
/ Fredrik, Parasit Studio
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Into The Unknown - Version 2.1

GrooveChampion
Oh Freppo bless your kind heart. If only you made something like the ITU but with an envelope filter instead of an LFO, sort of an EHX Micro Synth killer.
MAO

Re: Into The Unknown - Version 2.1

MAO
Thanks Freppo!!!

Here is an updated layout based on Freppo's comments and simplified schematic.

Note: If using a DIP SW, the dips must be set opposite each other.  If using links (colored grey) instead of a DIP SW,  do not install both links at the same time. Only 1 of the links will be used. Try the bottom link first. If there is ticking, then remove the bottom link and try the top link.

7 rows smaller, thanks again Freppo!

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
MAO

Re: Into The Unknown - Version 2.1

MAO
And to implement this LFO switching scheme I mentioned above...

"One mod I was thinking about is engaging the LFO with a stomp switch instead of the on/off/on toggle switch.

A "new" on/on toggle pre-selects triangle or square wave, but the newly added stomp switch would actually engage the LFO."

Again, using Freppo's suggestions:

Make LFO-1, LFO-2 and LFO-3 connections a SPDT ON/ON toggle switch. This toggle will pre-select either triangle wave or square wave.

And Make LFO-4 and LFO-5 connections a stomp switch. Do not connect LFO-6. This stomp switch will turn on/off the (gated or free running) LFO.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Into The Unknown - Version 2.1

Freppo
That was fast. Great job :)

I have not checked the entire layout, but one thing I noticed at a glance is that the unused inverter needs to be disables by connecting it to ground or the supply rail.

In this case it's a very simple fix, just remove the cut between pin 1 and 14 on U4. :)

Cheers
/ Fredrik

EDIT. You can remove the link to the left, between U4 pin 1 and U1 pin 14 aswell..
That way you can probably simplify the positive supply rail links somehow.
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Into The Unknown - Version 2.1

GrooveChampion
Freppo, is it possible to take the fuzz and octave circuit and remove the LFO and add an envelope filter to it to make a Micro Synth killer?

I'd buy that in an instant.
MAO

Re: Into The Unknown - Version 2.1

MAO
Thank you sir!

I didn't have time to see if I could simplify the layout any further, but did remove the cuts and links per your observation.

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Into The Unknown - Version 2.1

marshal2107
Hi everyone. I built this last version 2.1 in veroboard, the simplified version.

I have a weird problem: I have the signal ok until the last inverter in U4, just before the output.

If I take my output from pin 5 from u4 everything is working fine, but from pin 6 of U4 I have no signal.

If I remove completely U4 the original output works fine. Of course I lose the LFO that way.  I have swapped bouth 4069 just in case, but same result.  Both work fine as U1, but neither work ok in U4.

Tomorrow I'll try to see if I can find any mistake in my board.    Did this ever happened to you?

Thanks!