Is there an opamp based fuzz that sounds like a fuzz face?

Re: Is there an opamp based fuzz that sounds like a fuzz face?

Dex3887
Damn. That one was on my top 5 to do list and I just realized I never built it. Thanks Marbles for reminding me about that dude. Ill breadboard it at the office tonight and report back.

Re: Is there an opamp based fuzz that sounds like a fuzz face?

GrooveChampion
Built this one, I think it is by far the most stable:

Re: Is there an opamp based fuzz that sounds like a fuzz face?

Muadzin
Marbles wrote
I have thought about that too. Maybe you're right and I expect too much of the germanium ones. But in my head it have to sound looser, not as stiff. En more volume and gain.
I find the modeled Fuzz Face in my Axe FX to be just as underwhelming as the Fuzz Faces I've built.

The average Fuzz Face has only two transistors, the Lunar Module has 3. Maybe that extra transistor is what pushes it into sonic bliss for us?

GrooveChampion wrote
Built this one, I think it is by far the most stable:
There's like 3 vertical rows that I could spot (b, c & j) that could easily be omitted for a smaller tighter build.

Re: Is there an opamp based fuzz that sounds like a fuzz face?

correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the lunar module more akin to a silicon tonebender then fuzzface. not saying it's not a good pedal or anything, and granted the fuzzface and tonebender have a very interconnected history, but they will give two different types of fuzz. not to mention there are people who will live in 1 camp and not the other. i do love them both though, i must admit.

Re: Is there an opamp based fuzz that sounds like a fuzz face?

GrooveChampion
But isnt the Scarab a muff variant?

Also, anyone tried the layout i posted above?

Re: Is there an opamp based fuzz that sounds like a fuzz face?

nocentelli
GrooveChampion wrote

Scarab/scarab deluxe is a "modernised tonebender MK2" similar to the Lunar module but with a BMP tonestack rather than the Rat filter.

Re: Is there an opamp based fuzz that sounds like a fuzz face?

GrooveChampion
No wonder is sounds so good.
12