J201 and 2n5157 back to production?

bsas
I've got this from mouser today:

http://www.mouser.com/PCN/Fairchild_Semiconductor_P53LAAB.pdf

This was a reference to my SMD J201 and 2n5457 (MMBF5457 and MMBFJ201).
Since I don't understand those documents (at all), I was wondering if the part where they say:

Reason for Change:
 - To increase its manufacturing capacity
 - To meet additional demand for SOT-23 products by having additional flexibility in manufacturing locations.

Means they have plans to produce SOT-23 again.

Can anyone please help me "translate" if I misunderstood the doc?

Re: J201 and 2n5157 back to production?

Ciaran Haslett
SOT-23 is SMD.  This document just states that Fairchild are outsourcing production to China to meet demand.

Did you mean TO-92?  These are the through hole transistor packages we like to use as they are much easier to use with vero.....and these are dead!

You are right! Got the numbers confused :)
MAO

Re: J201 and 2n5157 back to production?

MAO
A note about matching 2N5457 SMDs (MXR Phase 90)

I just received a reel of 100 from Mouser.

Using the Greatly Improved JFET Matcher, and a "J201 SMD adapter board" from OSH park, I've gone through 60 SMDs so far and have only found 2 well matched quads and a 3rd fairly well matched. There are a couple well matched pairs and triplets so I'm hopeful I'll have a more matched quads when I get through the next 40.

Point is, I was surprised at how wide the spec range is for the 5457s, for some reason I had thought the JFET inconsistency was just a J201 thing.

I didn't find my 1st matched quad until I had gone through 40 or so. Had I just purchased 20 or 25, I may have been out of luck finding a matched quad.

If you are looking to match a quad, I would recommend no less than 100. If you just need a matched pair, 25 should be fine.  (Mouser has 100 for $14.70, 25 for $7.83)

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: J201 and 2n5157 back to production?

Muadzin
Methinks if its a matched quad you need you're still cheaper off buying a matched set from a reputed seller then buying 100 smd jfets, soldering them to adapter boards and then matching them. A matched quad of 2n5952's will cost me €5,50 at Musikding
MAO

Re: J201 and 2n5157 back to production?

MAO
Probably so, but no way soldering them to adapter boards until after they are matched!

I have my adapter board soldered to a set of sockets with short pieces solid wire parallel to the vero. Makes a sturdy little platform of sorts. I use tweasers to place the smd on the adapter platform and the hold it in place with my thumb.

Quick and easy...but not as quick as buying a matched quad :0)
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst