J201 any direct replacement?

boratto
Since there is a lot of chinese fakes is there a direct replacement, to use on Black Forest - Uberschall Emulation?

Re: J201 any direct replacement?

tjdracz
Something Lille 2N5484 it 2N5457/8 should do. Just pop in and try them. Also, it's not as much fakes as just inconsistent transistors. Just get a bunch from Tayda or Futurelec (?) and you should find some decent ones

Re: J201 any direct replacement?

Silver Blues
NTE458.

The NTE cross-ref tool is a handy thing sometimes, here (first bar at top).

Re: J201 any direct replacement?

I agree with tj. We've talked about it a lot and it seems the general consensus is that there is a lot of variability and inconsistencies in their manufacturing, and they're not sorted like most oftener transistors. I have about 100 give or take from smallbear electronics, and even those vary greatly. It's just the nature of the beast using j201's.

Re: J201 any direct replacement?

boratto
J201 is a lot louder the cheaper ones alternatives. Is there a risk on pedal overall volume?

Re: J201 any direct replacement?

iggy
Can anyone tell me if a J202 is a good sub for the J201. specs look fairly similar, but i dont know quite what they mean. and they seem to be cheap and available.

Re: J201 any direct replacement?

Definitely worth getting the J202 as I suspect some of them will drift into the J201 spec.  I bought some a while ago for the same reason and although I haven't used them yet I'm sure they will be useful.