JHS Muffaletta

DannyBoy
Has anyone seen the new JHS Muffaletta? That switch that they have to switch between the different muffs is very cool. How hard would it be to do something like this here?

Re: JHS Muffaletta

Muadzin
They had a thread about it on Madbean. Lots of SMD going on inside that thing.

Personally I don't see the point much, other then in finding out which flavor of Muff is your thing. After that I doubt you're going to use the other flavors much. Seems like a waste of a lot of money then. Also, what if your flavor of Muff isn't on that thing?

The fun with Muffs is building your own, and thanks to Kitrae's schematics and adapting one of the many Muff layouts here you can basically build all of them. Socket everything and it becomes even easier then. With that very important can't do without midboost switch of course. Never build or gig with a Muff without one.

Re: JHS Muffaletta

Beaker
Agreed. Mid boost switch and clipping diode options should do everything this does.

With so many (albeit minor) variations between Muffs, I can't see that this can be remotely accurate - generalised ballpark values yes, but 100% for every version on there? Somehow I can't see it.

My sense of righteous indignation however, demands that this be cloned and released yesterday - SMD or no SMD.

And WTF is that on their website blurb about their "own" Muff setting (which I bet it isn't)?
"Haunting mids" - on a Big Muff? I managed to squirt tea out of my nose when I read that!

Re: JHS Muffaletta

Silver Blues
Beaker wrote
"Haunting mids" - on a Big Muff? I managed to squirt tea out of my nose when I read that!
LMAO yeah good one JHS.

Re: JHS Muffaletta

Muadzin
There's probably more honesty and less bullshitting at your average political election campaign then in the pedal industry.

Re: JHS Muffaletta

Silver Blues
Yeah, and that's saying a lot. Some of the buzzwords you hear tossed around are comical. JHS is a particularly bad offender with passing off copies as their own work. We don't really care if you've cloned or taken inspiration from another circuit, that's about as common as it gets in this industry, but at least most of the others say they've done so.

Re: JHS Muffaletta

Silver Blues wrote
Yeah, and that's saying a lot. Some of the buzzwords you hear tossed around are comical. JHS is a particularly bad offender with passing off copies as their own work. We don't really care if you've cloned or taken inspiration from another circuit, that's about as common as it gets in this industry, but at least most of the others say they've done so.
+1. nothing wrong with saying that. i think it's an ego thing for some people in the industry, and that some people just latch onto buzzwords. i swear whenever i read or hear "_________" pedal is the best "________" i move onto the next thing.

Re: JHS Muffaletta

makefast
SMD?

Re: JHS Muffaletta

Silver Blues
Surface mount device(s)

Re: JHS Muffaletta

Frank_NH
I saw a demo of this pedal online and during that demo the player strummed the same chord and switched between the various muffs.  There was definitely a difference in the sound, but frankly, given the tone variation available in the tone control, I'm not sure it's worth all the effort.  Then again, I'm not a big muff user (gasp!  ) though I have built a DIY one (not boxed).

Re: JHS Muffaletta

I'd rather have a pedal of each muff. Not only can you hear all the tonal variation between them, you can also stack them to get a mega muff. Seriously get hairy when you have multiple muffs stacked, so much distortion, so much feedback, and so much fun.