JHS Muffuletta

tonymccallie
My first time posting here, so I'm sorry if I post something out of order. I read the stickied post and tried to search for this topic. I found a post about it, but no request.

So, this pedal is 6 BMP in one? I think it sounds amazing! (there's a video on the product page)

Here's the link to the product page:
https://www.jhspedals.com/products/guitar-pedals/muffuletta/

Someone posted a gut shot here:
http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=48698&start=15

I know it uses SMD, but is there a way to do this in a larger pedal with vero? Would the pedal be ridiculously large if you did?

Would love to hear y'all's thoughts on it.

Thanks for looking.

Re: JHS Muffuletta

Silver Blues
Apparently it's some sort of microcontroller switching job that they claim is just a way to switch multiple analog components with one switch. Sounds really complicated and maybe not something that can be done, especially without knowing the code.

Some of the marketing used in reference to that pedal is pretty off base though.

Re: JHS Muffuletta

tonymccallie
I work in marketing.. I don't believe anyone's marketing claims

Thanks for the input.. I wondered if it might be something like that.

Re: JHS Muffuletta

Silver Blues
LOL fair enough

Re: JHS Muffuletta

i don't know about you guys, but the idea of these swiss army pedals that can do a million effects or versions of a pedal all in one case i can't stand it. i feel like 99.99999999% of the time they fall short on their claims, mostly because you have to make compromises. it's one of the reason why i would much rather have individual pedals that each do there job perfectly, even if that means a massive pedal board. and hell, there are so many bands i've seen and met that literally have multi0tiered pedal boards, like Kylesa.

Re: JHS Muffuletta

tonymccallie
For me, I want to play with fuzz some, but don't have the money or pedalboard space for 7 different muff pi pedals. I will spend money and space on my workhorses, but Fuzz just seems fun to me, but I don't know which one I want. I'm open to any other way to find a fuzz you like?

Re: JHS Muffuletta

Depends on what you're into. I would take a look at a bunch of videos of different generations and variations and build one you like, cause they each have their own character and feel. Everyone knows what I'm going to say, stock green russian muff. It's got massive lowend, smooth and creamy fuzz. Being a bassist and big fan of doom metal it's the one for me hands down. Simple controls and nothing extra needed. I do have many builds of different generations and variations and they're all great and I love each one. Eventually you'll end up building more then one, cause you can never have just one muff. No man can stick to one muff forever, you need variety.

Re: JHS Muffuletta

Beaker
And it's not just Big Muffs.

What you have to remember is that every great rock guitar tone, from Hendrix, Page, Gilmour, Townsend and everyone else from the late 60's and right through the 70's was achieved using a fuzz pedal. I talk to so many guys who say "I don't like fuzzes, but I'd love to get a sound like ...". Then I have to point out that "that" sound was a fuzz!

Mosrite Fuzzrite, Maestro, Fuzz Face, Tonebender, Shin-Ei Superfuzz and a bunch of others need seroius consideration too. All of these were used extensively, on "classic guitar tone" recordings.

Re: JHS Muffuletta

bogey
Hi Tony and welcome,

There's a Fuzz out there for everyone.

Check these out and maybe you'll get an idea of which "flavour" might suit you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdJWv4emZdY

Some of them are supposedly easy builds and some not so. I'm sure you'll  get plenty of helpful advice here.

Best of luck.

Re: JHS Muffuletta

Trampled Empire
This could definitely be done without knowing their code. All you would need is a basic arduino programmed to respond to button pushes or turns on a rotary dial.

I'm willing to bet their analog signal switching is extremely similar to the jfet on/off switches that control input/output from the fx portion of Boss pedals. These are essentially voltage controlled spst switches.

Each muff subcircuit would have a jfet switch leading into and coming out of it. The overall effect input would see all 4  subcircuit input switches, and same goes for the output. The  microcontroller would be responsible for sending a 'turn on' signal to the appropriate input and output switches at any given time.

Whether or not you think it would be worthwhile to do this is another matter. It would take up a lot of space. But I'd be willing to draw up a diagram and some sample code if someone's interested.

Re: JHS Muffuletta

Silver Blues
Alright yes, fair enough. I should have clarified "cannot be done on vero at a reasonable size".

Although if anyone is interested, an easy way to get set up is to grab an Arduino Uno as an in-system programmer, and then use the $1.30 ATTiny85 microcontrollers from Tayda (assuming the code will fit on one of these). This is my setup for relay switching boards, and I spent a grand total of about $10.