Joe Gagan's Easy Face (positive voltage)

Joe Gagan's Easy Face (positive voltage)

Boba7
This post was updated on .
Hey guys

So I thought I'd make a layout for Joe Gagan's Easy Face but with standard positive voltage (the one posted on tagboard is negative voltage), based on Tonepad's schematics.

EDIT: the gain trimmer lowers the gain of Q1, and according to Joe Gagan, it decreases sag and increases clean up. It's no necessary, so keep it maxed if you don't like it (it'll be like it's not there)

The pregain pot actually serves as a gain pot. Joe Gagan's idea is to dismiss the traditionnal 1kB or 1kC fuzz pot (here the 1k in parallel with 22u) and only use the pregain pot for the amount of fuzz. In my previous FF builds it worked really well.

It's the first layout I put out but I'm fairly confident it should work fine. I used quite a few parts for power filtering (inspired by recent Madbean schematics), but it'd be easy to remove them for an even smaller layout.

Let me know what you think. I'm gonna build one as soon as I can and will let you know how it works!

Joe Gagan's Easy Face (positive voltage)

Re: Joe Gagan's Easy Face (positive voltage)

Boba7
In case it's unclear, the Pregain pot works really well as a gain pot, much better in my opinion than the standard 1kC pot used in a Fuzz Face (here hardwired in its maximum position with the 1k parallel to 22u)

It's Joe Gagan's idea to dismiss the 1k pot and use the pregain pot as a gain pot, and I must say it works really well (tried it in a previous germanium fuzz face)

Also the gain trimmer is a subtle setting that lowers the gain of Q1. If you don't want to use it just keep it at 0.

:)

Re: Joe Gagan's Easy Face (positive voltage)

I went through a phase of doing the pregain thing on all my fuzz face builds (inspired by the Easy Face which is a great sounding project)

I have come back to preferring the stock Fuzz Faces, but the easy face will always be a favorite for me

Re: Joe Gagan's Easy Face (positive voltage)

Boba7
I haven't actually built it but in my mind it should sound really nice! :D

I'll let you guys know when it's verified!

Re: Joe Gagan's Easy Face (positive voltage)

BlackDeathsquad
Hey boba I know this is an old thread. But did you get around to building this? Also, how are
You using pnp and not npn? I would like to build this. Thnx!!!