KO-Ten Cent Trem

Greedy_Fly
mug

Re: KO-Ten Cent Trem

mug
This post was updated on .
One of my first attempts to do a vero, so I hope someone more experienced will have a look at it.
Probably not the neatest with some standing resistors as well.
Not sure about the J309 (never worked with one of these) and no idea what NPN germanium tranny would be a good choice (maybe it could be substituted with a Si like 2N2222A?).
Aaand: I don't see a reason for the TREM on/off switch - since one would wire the whole thing for true bypass the thing would be just a buffer/booster with the switch off, right?

EDIT: updated with Neil's corrections:

Re: KO-Ten Cent Trem

Neil mcNasty
Congratulations on your first layout/contribution!
Great to see that more and more people are getting into making layouts!

First the errors i've spotted:
- The Germanium transistor must be flipped upside/down in order to be correct. You have swapped the collector and emitter on your layout.
- The 1nf in your layout is a 1uf in the schematic, and should connect to the Base of the 2N5089 instead of Speed 2&3/Ground
- Depth 1 should be Depth 1&2. As it is now, the pot will do nothing since the wiper is not connected to anything, and therefore it functions as a fixed 25K resistor. (Lug 2 of a pot must always be connected somewhere for it to function)
- You might want to give the LED/LDR section a bit more space/distance between them, as they take up a bit more space when pointing the LED to the LDR.

Now the other stuff:
- The NPN Germanium is a GT311E (as stated in the schematic), but others might work just as well, so try any NPN Ge you've got (note that some might need some tweaking of resistors to get the bias correct).
Replacing it with a 2N2222 might work, but then the whole purpose of using a Ge preamp disappears as the grittiness of the Ge transistor seems to be the main goal/mojo in this design.

- Instead of the J309: just try any JFet you got (watch pinout), but 2sk117, and 2N5459 are mentioned as possible substitutes.

- The Trem on/off switch is there to turn on/off the LFO, so that it functions as a Preamp in the off position.
I would wire this as a stomp switch if included, so that you get 2 pedals in one design: both Preamp and Tremolo.

Rule no#1: don't obsess too much about part numbers! Try whatever you got instead of waiting for a certain obscure part in the mail. In 90% of the cases your effect will function as intended and sound pretty decent...
mug

Re: KO-Ten Cent Trem

mug
Great, thank you! I've updated the layout.

Hopefully work will calm down soon and I can give it a try...

Re: KO-Ten Cent Trem

Neil mcNasty
Just spotted something:
The 27K resistor from the Emitter of the Ge Transistor to ground, is actually a 2.2K
Took me a while to spot it because the handwriting and the small size of the schematic...

Guess I'll have to try to build this as well... Just got to order some more hookup-wire and veroboards first...
mug

Re: KO-Ten Cent Trem

mug
It's hard to read, indeed - you're right - I updated the above schematic.