Keeley Katana 5458 replacement

nonost

Any replacement for the 5458? I've dealt with SMD before so those are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Re: Keeley Katana 5458 replacement

rockola

Re: Keeley Katana 5458 replacement

Pavlos
if you check out the following

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/02/keeley-katana-boost-layout-rev-2.html
2nd October 2014 JaviCAP has a little comparison of some alternative JFET's that he tried.

Generally though for anything that uses JFET's it is probably best to go SMD these days anyway, they're far more readily available than through hole and much more consistantly in spec as well. Even if you can find through hole, you'd be lucky to find even a tiny percentage of them are even remotely in spec.

Re: Keeley Katana 5458 replacement

Pavlos that is not the case currently as On Semi has reissued a bunch of through hole JFETs. You just have to buy through a seller who buys directly from On Semi such as Mouser

Re: Keeley Katana 5458 replacement

Pavlos
I'd not heard that bit of news so I shall stand corrected

anyone got any experience of them so far and any feedback as to how consistant they are for being in spec?

And I hope you're all keeping well over in the USA

Re: Keeley Katana 5458 replacement

I bought new 5457 from Mouser which were very consistent.

On Semi reissued several through hole JFETs. Those will all be genuine parts when bought from Mouser or a similarly legit seller. Otherwise the market is still full of fakes

Re: Keeley Katana 5458 replacement

Pavlos
Glad to hear that they're consistant. So far the only fakes I've ended up are MN3007's but that was down to taking a calculated risk on a seller that I'd never dealt with before that didn't work out. As you say though, shouldn't have any problems buying from the likes of Mouser and similar legit sellers

When I first started at this I rather naively bought some through hole 5457 and J201 from what I hoped was a trustworthy seller, and even though they were all useable, they were pretty much at the extremes of spec. So since then, from advice on here, the ever increasing price and the lack of constancy that most people have reported for through hole JFET's that were available, I've only bought SMD versions and only from known trustworthy sellers, and found them to be very consistant and reasonable value for money, even if  they are rather fiddly little buggers to deal with! Good to have the extra choice back though