Kelley katana!

BlackDeathsquad
Hello:)
     I’m trying to figure out how to use pots better. I’ve been reading about them but still a bit confused. I’m going to build a Kelley katana. I want to use a push pull pot, but only have a b500k. My question is how will it effect the circuit with using this larger value pot? Please elaborate as this is where I don’t understand. Also, I’ve read that you can put a 250k resistor across pins 1&3 to bring it down to 250k pot again. Is this a viable option?

   Thnx,

      :))))