LT1054 vs MAX1044

Thelonious
Hi,
I want to make thsi bipolar voltage converter :
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.fr/2014/01/bipolar-voltage-converter.html

But I can't find LT1054 on Tayda, can I use a MAX1044 instead ?

Thanks

Re: LT1054 vs MAX1044

You could, but omit the cut between 1 and 8.  Personally I'd prefer to stay away from the MAX1044, it's 10V maximum supply voltage is too close for comfort to the 9.5V I get from my power supply, and I've heard a number of complains about the chip.  The ICL7660S can be found from a number of eBay sellers at cheaper prices than you'll pay for the MAX1044, and the 12V maximum voltage gives a bit more peace of mind.

Re: LT1054 vs MAX1044

Thelonious
Thanks Mark.
Yes I read some bad feedback with the MAX.
But impossible to find LT1054 or 7660S on tayda, and that will be more expensive to make an other order on eBay just for one chip.
So, if MAX1044 and LT1054 are pin compatible, I'll try with the MAX and a 9.1V zener.

Just another question, I want to have +/-15V out, so if I use 1N4001 instead of 1N5817, I'll have 15V ?
And if I use a 8.2V zener (or 7.5V) before MAX instead of 9.1V,  I'll have 15V out too ?

Re: LT1054 vs MAX1044

I've been trying to source some ICL7660SCPA chips from eBay, but I can't find any U.S. seller that have them for a reasonable price.  I recently ordered some TC1044S chips from Small Bear which should be functionally identical to the ICL7660S:

http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en010558

I also purchased some LT1054 chops as well, which are different but can be applied to many layouts requiring charge pumps (making sure as IvIark says to isolate pins 1 and 8).

Re: LT1054 vs MAX1044

Don't go all crazy and buy all of them, cause I need some too :P but MKLEC is where I get my 7660s

Edit: oops. I just checked back and the lowest price is $1.00 each.. Sorry Frank. I swear they were way cheaper when I ordered before

Re: LT1054 vs MAX1044

Frank_NH
Yeah, the TC1044S chips are $1.50 at Small Bear.  I just wanted to get a few of them for some 18V projects, so no danger of buying out the store.

Re: LT1054 vs MAX1044

dbat69
Frank, I know you mentioned a US seller for the ICL7660S, but this link has 50 for $13 and free shipping
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50pcs-ICL7660S-DIP8-Voltage-Converter-/390341332013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae2280c2d

Might be worth a try if you can wait a little while for them to arrive

Re: LT1054 vs MAX1044

Frank_NH
Thanks.  I've seen the Chinese vendors.  To be honest I don't need them that badly right now, so I can hold off.  I need to do more boxing than building right now to take care of the backlog of finished builds...